Sunday, February 7, 2010

NOTES

I think I already defaulted to 'notes' this week, but the morning promises to be a busy one -- so, notes it is again.

What, pray tell, is happening?  Well, I'm off to San Fran to 'rock with the kula'.  That's Anusara® lingo for 'have fun with friends, while adding more tools to my teaching toolbox'.  I have done many week-long trainings with John and others; but this one will be fun since it's the kick-off for the year's teachings (for John).  I guess I'm expecting that there will be a lot of excitement just around that fact -- tho, I've never been to the kick-off event before -- I could be disappointed on that point.  We'll see.

I do know that the curriculum committee met in December to discuss Immersion content.  That means there will be new info, info on Immersion content, info on how to teach it, etc., etc., etc.  So, add that to the anticipated (by me) celebratory mood, and you come up with a great event to be attending.

The one negative -- I'll miss watching the Super Bowl at home with my husband and the menagerie.  Not sure who I'm rooting for -- I love spending time in New Orleans, so maybe I'll throw my hat in that ring.

When I return, I'll have tons of notes to read, re-read and absorb (last one of these, I had 15 pages of typed, single-spaced notes -- and, as I read them today, all the information is valuable; no fluff).

In my Level 1 class yesterday we worked with the heart quality 'boldness'; remembering that we can be quietly bold (a bit on the tamas side - calm, almost lethargic) or vigorously bold (rajas, as in fiery) and that our goal is to find the sattvic (balanced) place, even as we do more challenging poses - but we have to incorporate both.  I asked the group to reflect on their tendencies, then to notice throughout the class what arose -- did they hang back, or were they first in line to balance on their hands (or, even to stand in tree pose).  With the apex pose, bakasana and parvritta bakasana, my emphasis was on inner spiral.  A good one, since two in the room were new to Anusara® and I find it's good to get inner spiral 'under the belt', because - when they continue in these classes - they WILL hear it a lot.  My goal to to inspire an intelligent boldness -- approaching and leaving poses with wisdom, and with that kind of preparation who knows what will happen (magic, perhaps?) !!!

A lesson I was reminded of:  Look at everyone in the room.  My tendency is to pay lots of attention to the newer student.  What did I see when I looked at a continuing student?  Hyperextended knees !!!  Visible mostly in tree pose.  Now, she knows and I know.

Also, when I return, I'll be starting a new venture -- teaching two classes downtown at Kula Studio.  Why, when I own a studio?  It's an opportunity to teach more, to experience a different demographic of student, to see what it feels like to just be the teacher (not the owner).

Have a fun Sunday (GO, SAINTS !!!, I guess),

1 comment:

Ginger Coy said...

Hi Leslie,
I'll be at the Immersion too. Maybe our paths will cross? I'm looking forward to it!

From one blogger teacher to another,
Blessings,
Ginger Coy

www.bayshakti.com