Friday, February 5, 2010

SOME NOTES, INCLUDING BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR. . .

I spent most of yesterday in a yoga studio.

First, I attended Wayne's class at Kula.  As always, it was fun and challenging.  I would describe Wayne as a mellow yoga instructor (very calm, very precise in his teaching, and a nice guy), so his challenges kind of sneak up on you. On Tuesday, we worked on shoulders & shoulder loop in his class.  On Wednesday, I definitely was hearing from my shoulder blades and the surrounding muscles!  Yesterday, same emphasis; some different poses.  This morning, the shoulder blades and back are calmer; as in, we're getting used to this so bring it on.  Good class.

Then, a quick sandwich (actually 1/2 a sandwich), run home to let the dogs out for a minute, then to The Yoga Center to sub Michael's noon class, 'Yoga for Strength and Toning'.  As an instructor, you kind of know you're in trouble when a student comes in, takes a look at you, and says "this is the strength yoga class, isn't it?"  Perhaps I don't fit the image of a yoga teacher of strength and tone -- that's all I can make of it.  So, since the others in attendance were very fit, we warmed up, and moved towards some twisting and binding poses.  Topped it off with Bakasana and Parvritta Bakasana.  Probably not the 'strongest, toning-est' class they've been in, but I gave it my best shot, while throwing in some Anusara® wisdom.  And, in the back of my head is the thought that, given the right effort, we can tone, strengthen and even break a sweat in down dog.

Now an annual check-up at the doctor's office.  A bit concerned that a 2 pm appointment might make me late for 4 pm YogaHour.  I decided to trust and not express this concern.  At 1:55, I was called back to the exam room; at 2:03 p.m. in walked the physician.  Wow!  25 minutes later I was having my first-ever bone scan (to check for any osteoporosis) and a blood test to check my Vitamin D level.  At 3 pm, I was out the door and on my way back to the studio.  Amazing!

A health FYI - about a year ago, I had my Vitamin D level checked.  It was low, so my doctor prescribed a megadose to bring it up and then I began taking over-the-counter Vitamin D on a daily basis.  One thing I've noticed -- there used to be days I would begin to practice my yoga, and the first down dog would tell me that my muscles were not happy.  If I happened to be in a class, I just stuck it out, working through the discomfort - discomfort that lasted for most of a 90-minute class.  Since beginning the Vitamin D regimen, those 'sore muscle' classes don't happen anymore.  My physician verified that that is one of the benefits of an adequate supply of Vitamin D in our systems.

So, back to my Thursday.  YogaHour was fun, as always.  I had a couple students returning to the practice, so we all stepped back and did some basic stuff.

Then a short break until the 5:45 Level 1 class.  At 5:40, just one person had arrived.  At 5:45, 16 people were IN THE ROOM -- all setting up, all eager to sign in, all chatting, etc., etc., etc.  Totally blew me away.  For years, I have believed that Thursdays were meant to be low attendance evenings, for whatever reason.   I would scan other studio schedules, noticing that they, too, didn't have a ton of classes on Thursdays -- maybe for the same reason(?).  Well, not sure why this class is growing like a weed -- but, I am not going to question it too much; I am going to enjoy it.  It's fun to have that energy in the room.  It's also a challenge to teach (this from someone who liked to say "small classes are challenging to teach"); a different challenge to keep all the balls in the air, keep everyone safe; keep everyone reasonably happy and working.  Yet, it's also Fun, Fun, Fun !!!

Today, whew!  Space to breath.  Just one class - Gentle Yoga at 10 a.m., then to the Apple Store for my next lesson on this Mac.

Have a great Friday,

No comments: