Thursday, February 4, 2010

TMI (Too Much Information)

My students arrived in class yesterday ready for their usual Gentle Class.  I do teach gently, but always in the back of my mind is one definition of 'gentle' -- gradually increasing (as in 'gentle slope').

So, I do ask a bit more of these students than some other instructors teaching a Gentle class.  Not, however, more than I believe they can handle (or progress to handle).

Well, at least one of them reads this blog, pretty regularly (you know who you are).  So, now I know at least one will come to class knowing what I might have in mind for them -- which, yesterday, was to do some work on the forearms; maybe taking the feet off the ground, maybe not.  

During the prep work, everyone looked strong.  Their dolphin poses were well aligned, with shoulders and backs looking strong.  So, I offered the opportunity.  My theme yesterday was ahimsa (non-harming) - so an offering to take the feet off the floor seemed appropriate (letting them make the decision about feet off the floor).  Some chose to, some chose not to.  

I don't think I'll change the content of this blog (as in, don't write about what I think I'll teach).  But, I did learn the ramifications of writing.  

So, on to the Jail.  That class was small in number (3) - the officer was not willing to fill out the class after some previous students were released (one of the challenges of this class - officers' cooperation).  So, we worked again on the forearms, eventually taking the legs up into pinchamayurasana and, because they enjoyed it, we tried handstand.  Probably good that the number was small -- with a group that's inexperienced with the pose and/or assisting (and that I cannot touch) I need to be able to pay close attention to what's happening in the room.  One group of 3 was plenty. 

One response from people (even those in Jail), is that these poses give them a sense of freedom, a renewed sense of power, and some fun -- even if they don't get their feet off the floor (or chair).  

Enjoy Thursday, 

No comments: