Sunday, March 7, 2010

"A BIT OF ENVY" - continued

If you check out any of my links to other blogs, you are reading entries about Anusara's® Advanced Intensive held last Weds., Thurs., and Fri., in Los Angeles.  The entries and notes I've read have been well-written and reflect a special feeling to this event; a shift perhaps.

Anusara® has a reputation for being more light-hearted than some other styles.  I know that happens (the light heartedness), but I also know that we work very hard at our practice and studies.  I rarely hear of a yoga path that demands so much of its students and teachers.

The light-heartedness is a reflection of the tantric philosophy of Anusara® yoga, a philosophy of looking for the good in ourselves, other people and situations.  When people look for the good and find it, they can be a bit more light-hearted, don't you think?  (I am giving this advice to my Mother as we look for an assisted living place to live; she has to look for the good, or the change becomes overwhelming.)

I mentioned in an earlier post that I enjoyed trainings, practices, etc., where discipline is present; where our light-heartedness is asked to remain inside us during our work, to reveal itself on the exterior when our work is completed.  A true honoring of the practice.

Tracking links, I stumbled on one teacher's entry titled:  "Not at the 2010 Advanced Intensive?  3 Ways to Align with the Kula".  (Kula means community of the heart, and is one of 3 major ways Anusara® sets itself apart from other yoga disciplines. The other 2 are the philosophy and the Universal Principles of Alignment.)

I have taken her idea and applied my meaning to her headings.  Here goes:

Adhikara - Studentship.  Upon reading the entries regarding the discipline John asked participants to employ during this special event, I can carry that forward to my own practice, my peers, and my students.  That won't mean I pull the whip out and become a "yoga disciplinarian", but I can find ways to become a better student by being disciplined during the practice; and empower my students to do similarly.  Oh, we will still have a laugh or two during class, don't worry.  The point is, the practice without discipline is just movement.

Honor - We all are the product of our teachers - vocal, experiential, whatever.  Taking time to honor those people / circumstances is a good reminder of what their teachings have brought to our lives.  For me, I will continue to honor John, Sundari, Martin & Jordan, Desiree, Christina, Adam, Wayne - and the countless others I've encountered as I travel.  Each has communicated teachings that encourage me to do and be my best -- I will continue to follow that path.

Open to Grace - "the revelatory power which, when revealed, allows us to see the beauty within ourselves and the Universe".  I will open to more beauty.  Somedays, it's tough (like this week), but I will do my best (honoring my teachers), and accept the outcome - even if it doesn't meet my expectations.  FYI, at a training last year, the definition of Grace was discussed at length.  This definition best reflects the teachings I heard at that time.

So, there you have it.  My alignment goals for the future.  I will be a good student, I will honor my teachers, and I will open to something bigger than my limited wisdom sometimes permits me to do.

Going to Coeur d'Alene; gonna do some yoga.

Have a super Sunday,

No comments: