Friday, March 5, 2010

HONORED

I wrote briefly yesterday about my Father - who is hospitalized with a moderate stroke.  (No stroke, however, is 'moderate' -- they all represent something going horribly wrong with our bodies, and will have significant impact on our lives going forward.)

I remember when I lived in California and was doing fundraising, I met a generous donor who contributed as he did because, at age 35, he had suffered a massive stroke.  Doctors had told him to expect to have limited movement going forward.  Instead - through hard work, a determined attitude and faith - he was moving as if nothing had ever happened at the time I met him (he also was not willing to accept the prognosis given him; so an attitude to defy the experts also played a part).

Unfortunately, when one is 88 years old and in frail health, a full recovery as I described above may not be so simple.  So, we wait, listen, and do what we can.

In response to my writing yesterday, I've received multiple comments and e-mails.  I have a small army of people 'keeping my back', so to speak.  I am honored you are all there and I thank you.  The energy of the kula in action.

As I look for the good in this, right now I look forward to going to Coeur d'Alene, to Karen Sprute-Francovich's studio, for a class -- maybe tomorrow.  It will do me good to pull away from all this for a little bit.

Thank you for your thoughts and comments,

p.s.  Signs of a stroke - plus a new one:  S - ask the person to smile; T - ask the person to talk, to speak a simple sentence; R - ask the person to raise both arms.  If the person has trouble doing any of these, get help (911 is the best).  A new sign:  The tongue -- ask the person to stick out their tongue; if it goes to one side or the other, that may also signify a stroke.  Don't wait, no matter what the person says -- because we all want to deny anything could be wrong with us.
 

No comments: