Friday, March 26, 2010

NOTES; PLUS 2 FOR, 0 AGAINST

Two of my fans have cast positive votes for the new blog format.  Unless any more of you speak up, it's a done deal.

I'm sitting here with second cup of coffee, contemplating what to teach this morning (Gentle Yoga).  Trouble is, several of the students read this.  It gives them a heads up as to what to expect, and might even cause them to stay home if they don't like what they read.  This could even be extended to what mood they sense I'm in, based on the blog entry. So, this is for them -- I'm extremely happy, thinking of offering my students a lovely and gentle practice designed to easily move their bodies.  No effort, no sensation, nothing to think about - happy, happy, happy.

I read Christina's blog entry this morning; the image of her being passed from one Costa Rican to another for multiple hugs as she said good-bye after an Immersion training, has put me in a silly mood (if you know or even have seen Christina, you'll understand -- image:  one tiny person among many students).

Last week, Hanuman arrived. A beautiful, regal-looking Hanuman, in siddhasana (aka 'perfected one's pose' or 'accomplished pose').  He is now seated in the studio looking over the classes we teach. Interesting that no one in any of my classes has noticed his presence - because he isn't small, he's about 12 inches tall, and I have him prominently placed behind and to my left as I take the 'teacher's seat'.  I've asked people in several classes what they see new in the studio; no one's noticed him.

Jokingly, I could credit that to my presence; that it overshadows all the accoutrements of the studio.  Not sure I can do that - even as a joke. It does speak to something I've heard John talk about recently -- the importance of noticing and remembering.

Last year, in Tucson, he brought Darren Rhodes up to the stage and proceeded to quiz him - not about yoga, but about events surrounding their meeting and the times they've spent together (i.e. how did we meet? we shared a meal, what did we eat? like that). Since he's known Darren for at least 10 years, that's a long time to remember things like meals. Darren was able to answer 90% of the questions; John remembered everything.  His point? We remember the things that are important to us.

This point came to me as I taught this past week, when I asked students what they had been taught while I was away. Initially, the response "don't remember"; but, as they thought about it longer, their memories returned.  Just as I was about to launch into the "we remember things..." speech, they remembered.  Saved!

As I've taught the past 10 days, I've placed a LOT of emphasis on hand placement and the importance of maintaining those 'downdog hands' in poses where the hands are flat on the floor, the commitment needed to not wiggle fingers, move hands, etc. I am 'one with the hands'. For whatever reason, when I learned that lesson from John, it stuck -- and, it causes me to wonder what it was about how he taught it that caused me remember (and embrace the teaching) so well. Would like to be able to replicate that.

Enough rambling -- teaching at 10 am, then got to get personal tax materials together (got the studio stuff in).

Hope you have a fabulous Friday,

No comments: