Sunday, March 28, 2010

A STUDENT'S FRUSTRATION

First, the private yesterday went well --- Mom & Daughter, both with no (or little) yoga experience.  As with many, they wanted to know a bit about the practice before entering the classroom setting.  Not a bad decision, and they selected me to do their introduction.  They want more -- so another private scheduled for later this week.

Level 1 was a mix -- as I've heard said, when you offer a class open to all - you get all; some who think it's too easy, some who think it's too hard, some who are happy with what's being taught.  I was thinking about one student, new to yoga, who had been a regular for 4-5 weeks, but who I hadn't seen for a while.  She returned yesterday; her explanation:  she enjoys the class, but found herself getting frustrated that every week was different stuff to learn; so, she took a break.

I do stick to a basic format for classes, (talk, warm-up, move, apex, cool down, relax).  The content of each of these elements changes each week.  That would be different, I guess, if I offered my class as a series.   Then, I could build one week on the next, with a consistent group of students.  As it is, the class attendees vary (with a few exceptions) each week, so this isn't feasible.

What I can do, however, and her comment was a good reminder, was reinforce the elements that students had experienced.

I related to her my own foibles -- how I had started yoga (with my socks on), took 3 classes and quit for six months.  I returned, and things were better (and my socks came off).  As new students are prone to be self-conscious when they fall, etc., I also shared the very embarrassing (for me) moment when I fell while trying to do parvritta trichonasana.  Imagine a row of students, lined up during a workshop with Christina Sell, and then picture Leslie going down like a tree (no collapse, no bending, just from standing to my side on the floor.

I'm not sure if these stories made her feel better, but they sure sent the message that we are never so perfect that things don't happen.  Everyone falls, everyone takes the wrong leg forward, everyone takes the wrong pose.  Things happen - to everyone.  No matter how long we've been doing yoga - that's why we call it a practice.

Beware the yoga instructor who can't (or won't) admit they make mistakes -- FYI, I'm not sure I've met one of those yet, but they may exist somewhere.

Sunday - no plans yet.  Some yoga, somewhere and going to find a hula hoop.

Have a nice day,

No comments: