Thursday, April 8, 2010

THE DETAILS ...

Before getting into yesterday's filming of my Gentle Yoga class - I offer a huge THANK YOU to the students who attended.  Some knew, some didn't, all were gracious and stuck with me through the whole class. Great adhikhara (studentship)!

First, the reporter's goal for this filming was to focus on yoga and back issues.  Not everyone in this class struggles with back issues, but they all have their reasons for regularly attending. On with the saga...

Typical Yoga Center behavior is to arrive for class right on time, not early, sometimes a minute or two late. This class, however, usually arrives a minute or two before start-time.  Yesterday, they gave me a bit of a start -- at 9:56, just one or two had arrived.  This will cause angst when a film crew is scheduled to arrive for the same class.  By 10:05, there were 9 people in the room (not counting reporter and cameraman). Not a huge class by some standards, but a good number for this group.

So, once everyone met everyone, we started.  I used my fallback theme of 'challenge' (thank you, again, Amy), using courage as the heart quality, focusing on organic extension.  My apex, of course, was a modified vascisthasana.  Remember, this is a group of mainly women, aged up to 86; but, they're one with a challenge!

Nervousness struck as I began the Anusara® chant -- voice a bit thready, somewhat breathless. I remembered one of my teacher's instructions to breathe, really breathe, and that helped.

So, we warmed up, I took them through some standing poses after a bit of inner thigh block work, and it was to the floor for some push-ups, some ab work, and - of course - a couple timed vasci's thrown inbetween.  Through all of this, the cameraman is moving around the room -- this angle, that angle, me, them.  Then he left the room (went to sit in my retail space with the reporter), returning periodically.  

Interesting observations:  (1) I was nervous through the chant; once I started teaching, the nervousness was gone.  (2) Students were quiet until they realized this was class as usual; one question from the group - is 'woos-ey' a Sanskrit word?  (that will give you a sense of this group's personality). (4) Another comment received right before class - 'just don't ask us to 'breathe in beauty' or we might start giggling'.  I took that advice. (4) As to laughter during Utkatasana - not a good idea, especially if you have a weak bladder. (4) The expression in everyone's poses was beyond description; they gave me their all, what a show of support!

So, class over, on to one-on-one interviews.  Two students participated, then it was my turn.  Nervousness returned, a bit, but I survived.  My one regret -- too much information.  Where a simple sentence or two might have worked; I probably used  4-5.  Oh, well.

Upon reflection, I think it went well.  Interesting questions during my one-on-one interview.  First was, "why was your warm-up longer than most yoga classes?" To paraphrase me, it's Gentle Yoga, plus - this group truly enjoys the class, so much so that getting them settled down and into the movement takes a bit longer.  Then "who shouldn't do yoga or gentle yoga?"  Not sure if she was looking for a specific personality type or a physical condition that would prevent doing yoga.

My answer - there are few people who won't benefit from yoga, so I focused on gentle yoga - who shouldn't come to my gentle yoga class?  anyone who isn't willing to participate at the level I'm teaching.  The student who comes in and does an advanced practice while everyone else is using props and/or moving a bit more slowly is the student who puts all at risk. How? I see people try to do what their mat neighbors are doing, whether it's appropriate for them or not, and that's not good.  The person who comes with an attitude of "I'll just do my own thing" is not a candidate for my gentle yoga class; they haven't learned the meaning of adhikhara or embraced their 'beginner mind'. (Probably not what she was looking for, but this issue has been on my mind - so, they got the speech.)

Something I wish I'd said?  My class is based on the definition of 'gentle' - as in a gentle slope.  While we don't work fast, we do work and this work will gradually increase the strength of students attending.

The report airs around the 21st of April.  She promised to let me know for sure. Again, thank you, students and friends for you well wishes and efforts.

New day, new classes (well not 'new new').  Teaching at 10 am at Kula; then 4 pm YogaHour at The Yoga Center, and 5:45 Level 1 also at The Yoga Center.

Take care & enjoy your day,

No comments: