Wednesday, April 7, 2010

NERVOUS, WHO ME?

TV station coming this morning to film the Gentle Yoga class I teach at The Yoga Center.  They're planning to film the whole class, then - I assume - take clips for a piece on yoga and its affect on back issues.  The reporter's take on this:  she had read a statistic that the majority of people suffer from some kind of back pain - either mild, moderate or severe.

There's a bigger story here, I believe -- a story about how people come together in a yoga class and become a small community. A story of how they share their histories and lives with one another. Of how they help each other - offering rides, putting props away, signing each other in, etc.  A story of the laughter and work shared in this class.

After I spoke with the reporter, she began to receive that message.  So, I am hopeful that - while I do see a lot of back issues in classes - this filming will be about the broader spectrum of people doing yoga and why.  Then - who knows - there could be a whole series of mini broadcasts breaking down the different reasons. We'll see.

On Monday, I had a young man in class who is in the service, on leave from tours in Iraq and Afghanistan, and on his way to Korea after healing some physical injuries.  When he walked into class, he mentioned he'd been doing yoga for two months and that he enjoyed the faster paced classes he'd experienced.

As I listened, I thought "oh dear, he's in for a different class than he's experienced", since I don't typically teach fast paced classes.  I'd probably fall into the 'nit-picky' category of yoga instructor.  This type of teaching was only exacerbated by some of my teachers, who suggested that I not ask for anything I'm not willing to enforce.  For example, this young man weights his outer feet.  If I ask him to weight all 4 corners, I'd better be willing to enforce it, while letting him know the reasons it is important.

So, we did a slower-paced class (still working on the challenge, thanks to Amy).  Warmed up, then went to the wall to use it as a support for the back foot in standing poses.  Then, the wall aided in Vascisthasana - something to organically extend into as students held the pose.

The student looking for a fast-paced class came with a friend (who is also a friend of mine).  I got an e-mail yesterday telling me that my teaching was well-received and appreciated by both.

Here's what I think happened -- his background makes him strive to do his best - it's part of his training (Army).  What he wants - as do all of us - is to do his best work and have that best work acknowledged and appreciated.  I tried to do that.  Maybe that replaced the need for 'fast-paced'.  BTW, both friends were 'glistening' as they moved into savasana -- a sign to me that their effort may not have been fast-paced, but they did work.

Got to get busy.  Gentle Yoga at 10 am (but, you know that) and to the Jail later to teach.

Have a great Wednesday,

No comments: