Friday, April 2, 2010

FUN WITH THE 30 DAY TIGRESS CHALLENGE

I was #17 to join Amy Ippoliti's Facebook group "30 day yoga tigress challenge group".  Did it on a whim, based on a recommendation from Jane Norton.  Today, there are 774 members!

What is it?  Each month Amy puts out a challenge to the group.  First month, was to try to press up to handstand each day -- just to try 3 times a day, using blocks, whatever.  Each month has been challenging and not always successful, for me.  But, I love the concept of being offered an idea and either going with it, or not (i.e. padmasana -- a difficult pose for me, was not my idea of fun -- that was February's challenge, I think).

So, what is this month's challenge?  To hold a variation of vasisthasana for one minute (each side) every day.  Why?  To 'buff up' our arms and to build our 'inner badass'.  I can do that and I need that - both parts.  There's a second part to the challenge - to carry a cup around with us for water consumption, eliminating our 'water bottle' addiction.

I gave it a try yesterday in my YogaHour class.  Interesting how I truly underestimate my students, at times.  They were game for this challenge!  So, we did it first in a modified form - one foot halfway forward - for 30 seconds each side.  They were up for more, so I suggested they do either the modified form again, or go for feet stacked.  I'd tell them when 30 seconds was up, but they could go longer.  Everyone held the full minute on each side.  They did it!  And, I think they liked it!

Moral of this blog:  never underestimate my students.  They will fool me almost every time.  Loved it!

Yesterday was a big arm work-out day for me -- first shoveling my deck a couple times (not just one deck, but 3 levels and stairs), then the driveway by hand (5 inches of heavy, wet snow), then taught a class, then pilates, then taught two more classes.  At the end of that day, there was no way my arms needed more 'buffness' or my psyche needed more 'inner badass'.  Just didn't need it.  Today, tho, I'll be with the program.

Gentle Yoga this morning at 10 am, then lunch with a friend, then my husband comes home from a week-long business trip.  Relaxing weekend planned.

Have a nice Friday,

No comments: