Thursday, April 29, 2010

LOOPS & SPIRALS

Teaching inner and outer spiral is - I find - not easy.  Especially when the sensation it creates in a newer-to-Anusara® student is 'wierd', 'uncomfortable', 'different'. But I carry on and do the best I can.

I do have to admit, that - when I stick my backside out towards a class full of students to demonstrate the impact of inner and outer spiral - I feel a bit awkward, to put it mildly. And, since I can't see it, I'm not quite sure how 'expressive' my backside is at demonstrating these two elements. I remember one teacher of mine who had the most 'expressive' inner and outer spiral in the hips -- amazing. And, she was able to very visibly demonstrate the two while moving into Hanumanasana. Ahhh, envy.

For this post, let's not even get into inner and outer spiral of the arms/shoulders!?!?!?!

Why am I even thinking about 'loops' at 6:30 a.m.?  I've been trying to develop an explanation for people that they can grasp. I think the see-saw principle is good. However, when it comes one side of, say, pelvic loop spinning at a different rate than the other - I get a lot of blank stares. Like, WHAT?

Here's one that's worked for me on two different occasions - let me know your thoughts. Scenario: students going into Warrior II on right side. Go through the UPA's. Ready to descend into pose, right pelvic loop must move faster than left. Why? Right leg needs to bend (through actions of right pelvic loop, not just bending of the knee), thigh of left leg needs to remain back in position after inner & outer spiral. (No easy task, keeping that left leg in position - no one, after all, likes to be left behind.)

This is how I described it:  Imagine a tricycle. 3 wheels, of which we all know the back two spin at different speeds when you turn that tricycle.

Now customize the tricycle - front wheel is tailbone; back two wheels are bilateral pelvic loop. As I descend into Warrior II, my right 'wheel' must spin faster to create extension of right femur towards the front of my mat, allowing the knee to bend. My left 'wheel' stays relatively still, allowing the left thigh to remain back. (No one likes to be left behind, but that's the left leg's job right now - to help provide stability to the pose.)

From this, you know that I come from a pretty 'mechanical' background. When most young girls/women were putting on make-up or going to the mall, I was mowing the lawn or assembling models. Maybe that explains it. My grandchildren will be 'grandmother-challenged' when it comes to cooking, shopping, etc.; good thing they're all boys.

Well, all I know is that whatever works to explain something as challenging as two invisible loops of energy spinning at different rates of speed is o.k. in my book. Now the challenge, to make it inspiring - however, when a student understands I think they're inspired, without a lot of over-the-top language. If it plants a seed of understanding, that's 'cit' (to 'see', to understand, to become aware).

I've been happy to read of Scott's stabilization yesterday. Hope today's news is as hopeful.

Snowing here - AGAIN.

Have a great Thursday,

2 comments:

TicketPickIt said...

I thought this was very helpful and useful.

Thanks,

Brett Ian

TicketPickIt said...

I found this helpful. Thank you

Brett