Wednesday, April 14, 2010

WAITING; GIGGLING TEENAGERS; ETC.

It should arrive today. The instructions said allow 2 business days when requesting it. So, it should arrive today. A bit nervous, but ready to get it done.  Setting up the 'dedicated space'; it should arrive today. Ready. It should arrive today. What? The test.

Yesterday's YogaHour was great! The class starts at 4 pm, and at 3:55 there were just two in the room.  Then, in true Yoga Center fashion, the crowd arrived. 10 (count'em TEN), at 4 in the afternoon!  5 were new to me; 4 new to yoga. 3 of those new were teens. I've seen this happen in other yoga classes - with teenagers in the room, embarrassed giggling abounds. No difference in this case; other than, I am the instructor, I'm in charge.

So, what does one do? 10 people in the room; 7 who are serious about the reason for being there; 3 who - despite their best intentions - are plagued with teen whatever and giggling. I can't fault them. I've been there, I know that feeling - one starts giggling and it's infectious. It's just that - in a yoga class - it is a bit distracting, to everyone.

Well, I decided humor was the best approach, so I asked them their names again; said I needed to make a mental note of the 'gigglers in the room'.

Then, fortunately, the one who appeared to be the catalyst for the giggling shifted her mat. That shifted her out of the others' view, and the giggling abated for a while.  We continued through the practice, ventured into the vasci challenge a bit, then the giggling started up again right before savasana. Oh no, I thought, what if this continues into/through savasana. Fortunately, it didn't. All ended well.

I love that the teens showed for this class. Yoga will offer them skills not taught in school, on the soccer field, in church; yoga will teach them to explore, to listen to their bodies and not just take their bodies for granted. And, if their practice continues, Wow!

After class ended, a woman - also new to the practice - came over to me. She came to yoga due to her age, and the stiffness and lack of balance she is experiencing. She knew nothing about yoga before this class. But, after class, her observations were keen (def. 'keen' = sharp or penetrating), - like "when I energized my hands, pressing fingertips into the floor, I felt that all the way up my arms into my shoulders" and "it's hard work, isn't it?" I didn't expect that.  I expected that she might say 'nice class' and leave, never to return. I hope and expect to see her again - her curiosity is awakened.

Teaching Gentle Yoga this morning at 10 a.m. I hope they've all recovered from last week's TV experience.

No comments: