Tuesday, April 13, 2010

WHO'S IN CHARGE OUT THERE? (Weather-wise, that is)

Mother Nature needs a reminder that April is for showers -- rain showers, not snow showers.  As I write this, BIG flakes of snow are floating onto my deck which is already covered with 4 inches of the white stuff (snow).  I know we need it.  I know the skiers (at least, most of them) are ecstatic.  I know it's good for the economy of the ski resorts, which struggled this winter.  Knowing all this, I am still able to say, "come on - it's time; it's time for Spring".

In my class yesterday, I used a theme of feeling 'less than' - in yoga philosophy, we refer to this as one of the malas - anava mala.  That sounds negative, so I re-framed it from the standpoint of "even though we may feel 'less than' at times, there is always something we can add to the conversation".  I had planned this theme before arriving in class, using the heart quality 'remembrance'.  Why remembrance?  Because, for me, I sometimes have to go way back in my memory bank to remind myself why I am not 'less than'.  It's in there, but I let it get all covered up with my own insecurities.  The task is to uncover and reveal my knowledge and my gifts.  I think, for students, it might apply as well -- how many people diminish themselves and, when reminded, say "yeah, I can do that" or "I do know that".

Monday mornings seem to be the day when all the very fit, looking-for-a-tough-class kind of people come to class.  One young man came in who fit that description to a tee.  One problem (for him) - he'd pulled something over the weekend.  Something between his shoulder blades.

This injury, for me, was a blessing in disguise to my theme.  I could pull out from my memory bank the things I've learned in therapy trainings and from personal experience and offer it to him.  I could throw off the anava mala cloak, not worry about him wanting a "kick-___" class, and work with him on his shoulder blade issue.  And, for him - well, the class offered an opportunity to look at his practice from a different perspective.  What did he remember about how the injury occurred? when did he notice the pain? as we worked - what felt good? what didn't?  Injuries are great teachers.

My theory is, yes, he over stretched something -- either in the yoga class he took over the weekend or during a dance rehearsal.  My own experience is that stabilizing and energizing those over-stretched muscles - hugging them back into position - is a good thing.  So, I tried to impress on him the value of hugging in, providing support to the injured area, not continually trying to stretch it out (which, I noticed, he did at the start of class).

We also did a couple arm balances, to which I could offer refinements that had not been introduced to him yet.  So, take that anava mala -- I do know my 'kick-___' stuff, as well!

By the end, we both felt better -- his irritated muscle had stayed strong, and pain-free during the practice, and I felt that I had stepped into the conversation with confidence.

Off to class with Wayne this a.m., then 4 pm YogaHour --

No comments: