Tuesday, May 4, 2010

ALTERNATE WORDS

As I review my videos (yes, I do watch them reluctantly), I am on the look out for 'parrot' words, in addition to ways to improve my teaching.

What's a 'parrot' word -- well, it is a word that repeatedly shows up in a class, coming out of an instructor's mouth.  Some examples: "beautiful", "excellent", "take", "allow", and so on.  One or two times in a class = not so bad; but, used every pose, or even every 2nd, 3rd or 4th pose = not so good.

There are even words - I hear - that the Certification Committee (video reviewers, in particular), are on the prowl for.  Words they are so weary of hearing, that one ought to avoid using them anywhere as they teach their classes.  I've picked up that one of those words is "allow".  For example, "allow your breath to move . . . ".

A brief departure from the message -- first the video; now English usage!  

If you look up the word "allow", you will find a definition that relates to 'permit'.  When you think about the breath, there's no 'permit' to it -- it will come and go, no matter how much you want to 'permit' it to. So ('so', by the way, frequently shows up in my class dialogue), what do we do?

I made a list of parrot words a few months ago -- just came across it.  What are/were some of them?  "bring", "take", "pull", "take a breath".  I also noticed recently, that the phrase "all right" has crept into my frequently-used verbiage.  I had begun a few months back to find alternatives to use.  Good reminder!

Back to my example of 'allow'.  The most frequently used place that 'allow' appears is during savasana - either as I am settling people in or as I return them to seated (i.e. "allow your breath to return" ??? where did it go ???).  Instead, I've come up with:

1.  Inhale deeply, exhale fully
2.  Breathe deeply
3.  Use & enjoy the regularity of your breath to settle you into savasana
4.  Focus on your breath; this focus will keep you 'in the room' (I use this one if I have a majority of newer-to-yoga students; since, the tendency may be to use savasana to review 'to do' or grocery lists, to think about the rest of the day.  I like to remind them they are still involved in their yoga practice.)

Notice each of these is directive -- at this point in the practice, I might want to soften and 'permit' people to do their own thing.  However, I am still teaching; these students are still just that - students in a class of mine. They deserve my best effort and 'being nice' may not serve them best.

Sometimes a 'parrot' word, like "so", just ought to be eliminated. Why use it? I used to be afraid of 'dead air space' (space where I wasn't talking). No more -- that's the time I use to check if people have done what I've asked. And, as one student has taught me, poses grow and expand the more time we give them - sometimes being silent and watching is a gift of teaching, as well.

Rambling thoughts.  If you have some to share, I'd love to hear them.  Besides lists of words, I also keep a list of phrases that inspire me.  When it comes to my Anusara journey, I have become an accomplished list-maker and note-taker.

Have a nice Tuesday,

3 comments:

Ginger Coy said...

Leslie,
I continue to enjoy your blog b/c you are personable, relatable, ever striving to improve, and you share information that is pertinent and worthwhile to read.

Thank you for your good work.
Ginger

Beth said...

I loved this topic Leslie!! Well said and such a great reminder to us about falling back into what is easy for us instead of what our student's need.

Thanks for sharing and offering such great insight ...as always!

Beth ox

Leslie Salmon said...

Thanks, Ginger.