Monday, May 3, 2010

THE VIDEO

The DVD of my Saturday class is created - why do I want to tell you this; because I am discovering that the filming is the easy part.  Getting that video from camera to computer to disc is another thing.

The first couple times, I gave in and took the camera to a person whose business it is to create videos from peoples' cameras, photos, old tapes, etc.  That was more time consuming and a bit costly, but not over-the-top.  If a person does not have the computer system to process a video, then this is the way to go.  It does mean, however, that you are without your camera for a couple of days and one of those videos came through less-than-stellar in quality and content (maybe it could have been camera operator error).

Because Sundari lives in Wilson, WY, I have needed to do videos of my classes as she has mentored me.  (Oh, there was the occasional visit, but the opportunity to see a regular, full-length class didn't always happen during those visits.)  Therefore, I had to test the video waters, so to speak.  I remember talking to Wayne about the process -- his theory:  that all this, including the video - filming it, processing it, getting it in; that all these things that test our patience are part of the process of becoming Certified, becoming better teachers.

You are wondering, "how does doing a video make me a better yoga teacher?"  Well, let me list the ways:
  1. First, there is the class - both I and students have to overcome an initial self-confidence issue to even get in front of the camera.  This will teach me how much they trust and like me.  For some, I'd think it might be easier to just leave - unless, they enjoy my classes.  I've never had a student leave (pat myself on the back). 
  2. Then, I have to watch the video -- a true test of acceptance. I never look or sound great to myself.
  3. I had to learn to operate a video camera.  I'm still not a pro, but I can get the camera on - I can get it recording - and it will record the entire class.  This was not always the case.  And, I read of people who have been sure they've taught the 'perfect' class, only to discover that the camera shut off somewhere in the middle, or the battery died, or whatever. 
  4. Once the class is on the camera - now what?  Well, I told you what I used to do. With my new Mac, I am able to create the DVD - transfer it from camera to computer; edit it, if needed (take out the section where my hand moves in front of the camera to turn it on, for example); then start the process of preparing the 'movie' for burning to a disc. This process took about 8 hours yesterday.  4 of those were 'waiting around hours' -- waiting for help at the Apple store. The other 4 were the computer 'doing its work'.
  5. So, now that I have a completed DVD in my hands, I feel compelled to check and review it.  Another lesson in acceptance.  I described one of my first videos as 'watching paint dry'. Even I think I've improved since that one.  
  6. Now, pull out Anusara's 'video self evaluation' form.  15 questions ranging from 'did you look at outer form of pose' to 'did students leave feeling better'.  If I'm perfectly honest, the answer to these two is yes; one or two of the others, not so sure. For good measure, I added my comments - I like the '5 pros, 5 cons' format.  So, I wrote 5 good things and 5 not-so-good things.  
  7. Keep doing it (video'ing, that is).  Some days it might be easier to throw up my hands and say "I'm too old for all this"; but, that's not true. I can't pull back into that cocoon of safety; of not extending myself. This is one goal (Certification) that I have to do my best to achieve. I want this; I know I'm a good teacher worthy of Certification, and if it means I have to learn to operate a video camera, so be it. 
This video will go to Sundari, along with my 15 answers and my comments.  It, in no way, is one I'd want to submit.  But, whatever video goes in to the Certification Committee, it must be approved by her. So, this is a 'practice' video, offered for fine tuning. 
I re-read the 7 things I learned -- seems the prominent things are 'patience' and 'self-acceptance' and 'tenacity'.  All things I heard last week in a class, and have been teaching myself.  Whoaaaa!
And, there's an 8th thing -- learn to set up and operate a microphone on the camera.  While my voice is audible through the camera, the addition of a mic will make it even better (???).  
Hope you have a nice Monday -- it's a bit overcast here, but there's no new snow on the ground - that's a good thing.  

No comments: