Monday, May 17, 2010

JUMP SWITCH REPERCUSSIONS

I knew there was a good reason that the words 'jump switch' aren't in my yoga vocabulary. Just ask the ring finger on my right hand.

Why?  Two weeks ago, as I was warming up to sub a class for Wayne, I watched one student do some very nice 'jump switches' as part of his warm-up.  He left the room. It was then that I decided to surreptitiously (aka sneakily) give the elusive (to me) action of switching legs mid-air in a lunge, a try.

FYI, when any instructor (including John) asks for a 'jump switch', I might give it the old college try; but, it rarely is pretty or successful.  I will frequently just step switch -- pulling my age card and laying it squarely on the front of my mat (sorry, Desiree).

Back to my story -- as I continued to warm-up, I decided to try a 'jump switch' or two.  After all, it'd been a while since I'd tried it and perhaps a miracle had happened and I'd find I could now perform the movement. (Also FYI, I haven't been practicing 'jump switch' and many things in yoga rarely just happen without practice.) So, I assumed down dog, brought my right leg forward to a lunge, enjoyed that for a few moments, psyched myself up for the next action. Pressed into my active fingers, lifted myself away from the floor, trying - ever so gallantly - to switch mid-air to left leg in front.  What happened?  I'm not sure. All I know is that there was much pain in my right ring finger, distal joint. So much, that I thought I'd broken it. I don't think I broke anything, just bent that joint in an unnatural direction. It still hurts on occasion - especially when I place pressure on it repeatedly during a practice (like yesterday's with Sheldon).

In 13 years of practicing yoga, no instructor has taken me through the mechanics of a 'jump switch'. Maybe there's not much to it. Maybe it's just a matter of lifting your body by jumping. When I ask successful jumpers how they do it so easily, everyone just seems to shrug and say 'it's easy'. My body, tho, appears to have an aversion to jumping. Now, my finger reminds me of that aversion.

I cannot give up until I've tried it every day for a year, then - according to some (you know who you are) I can complain and whine about it.

Will I try it again? Sure. But first, perhaps I need to find someone to walk me through the mechanics of a 'jump switch', so that I can begin to visualize it. I have to say, visualization hasn't worked in some other poses; but, you never know. Never say never, right?

All this to say ("parrot" phrase), we worked through some things yesterday that required the ring finger of my right hand to shout at me.  I tried removing it from the equation (tucking it back into my palm). I never realized how much that weak-looking finger contributes to the strength of my hand. As I say repeatedly as I teach -- no part of the body is on vacation. Now I know that applies to fingers, as well.

Today?  My kitty, Gerbil, gets his teeth cleaned and a tooth extracted. I'll drop him off, then it's up to Kula to teach at 9:15 am, Level 1.

Beautiful day in SLC being forecast. Hope you enjoy similarly wherever you are.

Jane N. - If you read blogs these next few days -- I give you my mantra, 'no one fails, no one fails, no one fails'. You Go !!!

1 comment:

Jane Norton said...

Hi Leslie - How marvelous to get your encouraging words at the end of this post! I'm taking a break for a bit. I loved your descriptions and totally identify with them. Once in Tucson, I was dumbstruck when Ishvari Gonnot jump switched in Hanumanasana.

Twice.

In less time than it took you to read this.

Amazing thing, the human body. Well, other human bodies! Hope your finger feels better soon.
Blessings,
Jane