Sunday, May 16, 2010

JAI HANUMAN

The Saturday morning class was a journey to re-visit Hanumanasana (which we did in this class a couple Saturday's ago).

My theme was the word 'resolute', which has frequently come to mind - especially as I worked to sort through my parents' home.  Every time I felt a bit overwhelmed, or like just throwing my hands in the air, the word would appear in my head.  'Resolute' became my signal to continue, to just put one foot in front of the other and keep working.

I used the dictionary (a tip from Christina), to look up the meaning, the history, and some alternatives for the word.  I assigned my alignment principle (not the ONLY principle I would teach during the class, but the one I would emphasize), muscle energy. It was then I decided that the "H" pose would be my apex -- it requires a committed, resolute attitude to work on it, and - even though we just worked on it - it is one of those poses that needs a frequent visit, as I work towards getting myself to the floor.  And, with a mixed group of students, muscle energy's emphasis, I thought, would serve everyone the best; keep them safe, because I've learned that an activated hamstring is a safer hamstring to stretch.

There's a built-in 'tip' here.  One reader's may or may not notice -- the 'keep it simple' rule.
  1. Theme = one word (resolute)
  2. Alignment principle = one emphasis (muscle energy)
I remember, as a newer teacher of Anusara® Yoga, trying to get all 5 principles into a class; or I might have an elaborate theme that I would struggle to make meaningful to the students who attend my classes.  Then, imagine what the students are dealing with, especially if they are newer to the practice. All those things to remember, and do the poses, and feel good. Whew!!! It is a common phrase in every teacher training or mentoring or immersion I've attended -- keep things simple.  

I filmed the class.  Haven't watched the video yet, but hope it went well.  My demo could have been handled a bit more smoothly.  Since it was Tracy's birthday, I asked her to do the demo - the one thing I didn't do was ask people to gather round to watch.  As I taught, I noticed my 'parrot' word "so" made some appearances.  And - as always - when another teacher is in the class, the nerves came out until the chant was finished.

Best part of the class?  John played his guitar and sang the Hanuman chant through savasana. Many of the students present have not experienced this music before -- perfect ending.  One other 'best part' - no one balked at doing the pose and no one gave up; they all gave it their perfect effort. Wow!

The rest of the day was spent reading and relaxing. Then a nice dinner out with Howard.

Today? Breakfast with one of Howard's old college buddies, his wife and family. Then, class with Sheldon.

Enjoy Sunday,

No comments: