Sunday, May 9, 2010

NOTES FOR THE HECK OF IT

Even though this has been a week of a different sort, I'll do a 'notes' blog; just to stay in practice.

1.  It's Mother's Day -- don't forget!  (Not that any of you would.)

2.  On the subject of subs (substitute yoga teachers), I ought to say 'no comment'.  My track record is awful. I arrange diligently for a sub to cover each of my classes. I remind each of those people, 3-5 days in advance (more and they'll need another reminder). I feel confident that I've covered all bases. I receive the e-mail when I'm out of town away from my class lists, telling me that they 'forgot' - sometimes with a lengthy explanation. Ah, yes, no comment. Most trips it's one class that gets 'forgotten'; this trip, TWO. I apologize to my students who might be reading this.

3.  Reminder to self - do not accumulate more 'stuff' than I can possibly use. Do not put notes, financial info, magazine articles, etc., together in paper bags and stuff them in a closet - or many closets. Do not save any information (other than simple tax return materials) longer than 7 years. Do not put my jewelry in a 'safe' place, especially since memory loss may happen.

#3 could become lengthy, so I'll stop here - just some of the 'stuff' I've learned over the past several days as I sort through my parents' home. And, even though they know what I'm doing - it still feels invasive; needs to get done, tho.

4.  On yoga, went back through a few sets of notes looking for pertinent information - pertinent, meaning, things I've experienced recently that I can relate and communicate about.  The first I found was the note "create rapport with students by (1) asking questions and (2) creating familiarity", taken from my level 2 teacher training with John (10/2008). This struck me, because I've been in some classes where I felt like I was just another body - the instructor didn't appear to care who I was and even missed the all important "any injuries" question.

I start each of my classes with a 'get to know each other minute'. Granted, if you have a class of 40, this is not possible; however, in my classes of 8-12, it is more than do-able. If I'm new to the group, I introduce myself and ask everyone to tell me their names (if I don't already know them). I strive to ask about injuries before class, but if that doesn't happen - then it happens during this 'minute'. Sometimes, I'll ask why people came to yoga. A dialogue, rather than a monologue.  (This 'minute', by the way, may not show up on a video I submit - since I've never heard that's something they want to see.)

5.  Another yoga note - common AMS (addho mukha svanasana) - down dog - misalignments (and my thoughts on solutions):

  • Hands not wide enough (index & middle finger juncture lines up with outer edge of shoulder)
  • Fingers not spread wide enough or too wide (contrast, then find the balance - the place that feels stable)
  • Palms lifting from floor ('be committed, keep your hands pressed firmly into the floor')
  • Fingers moving (ditto - 'be committed, don't shift fingers; fingers moving eliminates your connection to the earth and affect shoulder action')
  • Elbows bent (recently, I've been asking students to hug forearms to midline - that usually solves it)
  • Head hanging (I think ears between biceps is a good instruction, any others?)
  • Shoulders and thoracic spine moving towards hands (student bends knees, I press my hand into back at shoulder blade height and push carefully, yet firmly)
  • Lumbar spine moving towards hands ('bend knees slightly, extend hips towards ceiling - curve usually will correct. Keep that and begin to straighten knees. If LS bulges, repeat.')
  • Knees fall to inside (block between thighs will help this, plus give insight to inner spiral's effect on the LS)
  • Heels on floor - not necessarily a misalignment in some people (widen stance - as Desiree says "heels on floor is an invitation to take a wider stance from hands to feet").
Always open to feedback -- if you have any thoughts about additional misalignments or solutions, let me know.  

That's enough for now.  Got to go sort through some paper bags.  

Happy Mother's Day to everyone.

No comments: