Monday, May 10, 2010

GETTING & MAKING

"There is no getting what you want without making a mess."

My quote?  No, something I read in Christina's blog that she transmitted from a recent teaching of Douglas Brooks'.

I thought it very appropriate because that is, quite literally, what I am doing right now -- making a mess in order for life to move on.  The contents of the house I'm working on, while beautifully decorated at one point, are now in piles.  Granted - neat piles; but piles, nonetheless.

On top of these piles of stuff are piles of emotion.  Kind of a nervous, empty-pit feeling in my gut, alternating with a 'this is the right/only thing to be doing' emotion. A resoluteness.

Today will be moving day -- stuff to storage, stuff to shredding, stuff to ship, stuff to family members. The rest in the hands of an estate person to dispose of.  Every inch of the house has been handled, sorted, piled, packed, set aside.

No more a beautifully decorated home, but a pile of stuff representing the accumulation of several lifetimes.  Making a mess to get what I want, you might say.

I am sure there is a more philosophical definition that Douglas might apply; there always is.  For me, as a pragmatist, things/phrases always become clearer when I can apply them to life.

When I look at my life, I can nod my head to the number of times dramatic shifts have happened. They have always required that I 'make a mess'.  One example might be my movement into yoga. My life prior to these past 12 years was filled with working, socializing, shopping, keeping up (i.e. cars, house, furnishings, etc.). As I introduced myself at Inner Harmony 6 years ago, John asked what I did besides yoga - my answer 'corporate wife'.  There has been a big shift from that lifestyle. Externally I may look the same, but inside there's a greater sense of self - not based in how much I have or how good I look (though I do want to look nice). I am different. In order to be different, I had to tear down some of the old structure of my life and rebuild.  Make a mess to get what I want.

Too much to do today to contemplate this brief foray into philosophy and its application to my life much further.

Enjoy your Monday,

No comments: