Saturday, May 1, 2010

NOTES ON SATURDAY

In my fervor yesterday, I forgot that Fridays are usually 'notes' days.  Oh well, I need to be able to change it up once in a while.  So, this week - it's notes on Saturday:

1.  As I taught this week, in each class I spent my time sitting during savasana reflecting on the class.  Not necessarily on what I taught, but what I had seen.  Why?  A few posts back (actually, many posts back), I wrote about advice I had received that - if I wanted something to happen in a class, I must ask for it and I must assure that it is happening.  What I saw in my classes this week is the fruition of this advice -- what a nice feeling.

Then, I read MariaCristina's blog regarding teaching in line with how she practices.  Her writing about this came as a result of something she read in Christina Sell's blog.  Christina pointed out that when John teaches, there are no comments like "just do what you can"; "move to child's pose, as needed".  That John expects everyone will be giving their best effort (and, I think, he expects that people will take care of themselves and - if something hurts - will tell him if there's a problem).  MariaCristina pointed out that her favorite yoga instructors do the same -- 'coddling' doesn't happen in these classes.

I read the same blog (Christina's).  And, I've noticed a shift in my teaching since reading it.  If you want to learn more, read MariaCristina's blog from yesterday or search back through April for Christina's entry on this topic.

2.  I sense a pressure -- got to get the video moving.  This process of Certification is interesting to watch.  I applied, I waited.  I was accepted, I was happy and content.  I enjoyed that feeling of acceptance for a while, before requesting the test.  I requested the test, enjoyed the challenge, got it in on time.  The process for these first 3 1/2 months has been relaxed - I even sense that relaxation and that acceptance translating to my teaching; a good thing.

Now, however, I feel I better stop languishing in the glow of acceptance and get busy.  Busy with the video.  Filming this morning's class and sending it to Sundari - even if it's not perfect, she'll be able to look at it, offer input.  This isn't the video meant to go in; this is the video to check progress, to evaluate what needs fine tuning.

3.  Next week I'll be dealing with parental issues.  Dedicating 7 days to that effort, even though each day lately seems to brings more concerns, more decisions to make, more plans to set in place.

Had hoped to give a tip from a workshop or training, but running out of time -- got to get ready to teach.  Maybe tomorrow.

Enjoy Saturday,

1 comment:

Kimberly Achelis Hoggan aka Sita LivDeep said...

thanks for sharing. I like the suggestion of reflecting not on what or how your taught but what you see. I am going to do this. I also, always enjoy hearing about your jouney in the certification process.