Sunday, May 2, 2010

ALWAYS USE THE NOTES

When I attend a workshop or training, I take voluminous notes.  (I've told you this, but I'll do it again.) For me, it's best to give those notes and the teachings a few hours to settle. So, usually, I transcribe the notes into an easier-to-read format the following morning. Not only do they become easier-to-read, but my mind is a bit clearer and I can embellish, even adding in things I didn't write down but heard during the previous day's teaching.

As I look around the room each day, I notice that everyone is doing likewise - taking mucho notes. I'm sure each has a different way of handling those notes. Some are very diligent - making drawings or using different colored pens, I assume to highlight different aspects of what's being written. My way is not the only way, nor is it perfect.

Over time, however, I've figured out what works for me.  The interesting part is that what works for me also makes my notes more accessible.  What do I mean by that? That, I rarely - if ever - look back through handwritten notes for information. They're too rough and a lot of the time, my memory of the moment is gone; making it hard for me to re-create the teaching accurately. FYI, my handwriting is kind of sloppy and note taking, especially with JF, is a challenge - so, there's a lot of cryptic stuff hastily jotted down.

Why bring this up again? Because, I was looking through those 'nicely typed' notes this morning for a 'tip' to offer. What did I find? A potential solution for a student struggling with a super-tight set of glute muscles on one side.

As I re-read a set of therapy notes from a 2008 training, I came across the bullet point "tight psoas muscle = tight butt". Then, I'd outlined a couple manual adjustments to help relieve the psoas and thigh tightness. Bonanza! Now, when the student comes back to class, I have something concrete to offer her. Oh, we were stretching her thighs, but it was obviously difficult for her by herself. With my help, if she wants it, things might start to loosen a bit.

The previous paragraph relates to one thing JF always tells us "don't answer the question that hasn't been asked". That was such a powerful statement to me that I've remembered it since one of my first trainings with him. Didn't even need to write it down, though I did. I've watched students, then I offered advice not asked for, and subsequently I saw them disappear for a while. Kind of like TMI (too much information); and they may not have been ready to do the work -- because the work is hard to 'fix' things our habits have deeply ingrained into our body and personalities.

All this to say that our notes offer valuable supplemental information to the manuals we receive at trainings. Organize them in a way that works for you, refer back to them frequently; they are a resource for our future teaching - not just an exercise in taking notes. You may find - like I did - that they offer a potential solution to a student's 'issue' someday.

On another subject, I video'd yesterday morning's class. I planned to video, not matter how many or who showed up. This was a 'test', to be sent to Sundari, for her 'fine tuning' input. I'm going into the Apple store today to learn how to get it from the camera, through the computer, and onto a disc. This part of the process has been the bane of my video experience.

I was pleased with how it went and pleased with how my students handled a camera in the room. One slight issue - the student who warmed up during the entire intro, until I asked her to sit for our centering and chant. I'll be interested in feedback on how to handle those kinds of things. For now, tho, just get it on a disc - that's my mission today.

Going to a class this morning. Then the Apple store. Weird weather in many places -- today, more snow in SLC.

Have a great day,

No comments: