Friday, May 14, 2010

USING TIME WISELY & OTHER NOTES

I had some extra time yesterday morning and I decided to use the time wisely and practice a bit.  Worked on Hanumanasana like I've been planning to do for 14 months, or 12 years (?!?!).  That makes 3 sessions of working on it in the past 10 days - not bad.

I am further into the pose.  I continued working with the back foot pressing into a wall. Noticed that I can get more opening in the back leg by pressing thru that foot and extending into the room. I love walls!

I finished about the same time as Wayne's class ended, so we talked 'yoga shop' for a bit over coffee. I enjoy swapping stories and hearing his wisdom. Good for me to take that time once in a while.

Back home to continue with the laundry. Go away for a week, and I find the laundry bin filled - what's that about? That, plus one of our dogs decided that my side of the bed looked very appealing while I was gone. More laundry.

YogaHour at 4 was fun - one newer-to-yoga student in the group. He is strong yet tight (rock climber), and his adhikara (studentship) will be strong, I think. We used the wall in poses here, as well. Ardha Chandrasana-Trichonasana-back to Ardha. Then, after some shoulder opening, we revolved ardha into the wall (huh? - stand with right side against wall, take left leg back (balancing on right leg) and place left hand on a block that it is at least one foot out from the wall. Revolve chest towards wall and use right hand to help with the turn.). More walls!

Level 1 at 5:45 included one student participating in a LONG bike ride this weekend, so she wanted to keep it calmer. I could do that - we worked the hips calmly. Interesting that students think hips openers are simply that - opening the legs wide. What about the abductor muscles? We worked those, as well as the adductors. She'll get plenty of psoas and glute action on that bike ride. Next week, when she returns, we can work on those more.

In all my classes yesterday, I found myself telling the story of our mountain climber student. The one who sent me an e-mail from Pakistan, where he was climbing after safely doing a 'few' peaks in China. In that message, he noted that getting to the peak was not the only goal of his climbs - the ascent and descent were equally important parts of the journey. Wow! I use that story a lot when I talk about the importance of entry and exit from poses.

The one time someone has hurt themselves at my studio was just such an incident - a student, eager to 'go for it', aggressively moved into Hanumanasana. A loud 'pop' was heard throughout the room - one of her hamstring muscles. This student is fairly strong and flexible, but the hamstring wasn't warmed up and maybe not activated (I wasn't teaching, but I know the student and the drive behind that practice, so it's a pretty safe bet.). A case of an inattentive entry. This student is back, but still dealing with that injury. Enough said.

Starting out beautiful here. We could use a nice weekend.  Teaching at 10 - Gentle Yoga.

Enjoy your Friday,

No comments: