Thursday, May 13, 2010

TEACHING BREAKTHROUGH

At the jail yesterday --- a smaller-than-normal group, composed of all new students.  This can be good or not-so-good, depending on their personalities.  They will either be ready to learn and eager to do what I ask, or just happy to be away from the pod and ready to chat with their 'cellies' (their word for cellmate).  The latter type is a bit disruptive and more in need of my 'stern mother' tone.

Here's the story -- teaching away, through the centering, through the warm-up, and into down dog, with a plan to do some simple sun salutations.  I always have just taught down dog, bring one leg forward to a lunge.  The result:  students struggle, a bit embarrassed that they can't get that leg forward like their neighbor.  I have tried to use humor, encouraging a big grunt as they bring the leg forward (don't laugh, it does work; or at least, the leg comes farther forward, if they're willing to 'grunt' - sometimes, I grunt along with them).

Yesterday, tho, without even thinking about it, I had them move to down dog, release one knee to the floor, bring the other foot forward between the hands, then lift the back knee away from the floor.  TaDa!!! High Lunge. I know this is not original; I've seen it done in videos, have probably been in classes early on where it was taught this way.

What was the breakthrough, then?  The 'without even thinking about it' part.  It flowed well, it worked, and - after working out the kinks in their first lunges - they were all able to bring the leg forward from down dog almost to the foot.

Here's another tip I learned from Jordan Kirk -- when bringing the foot forward, first come up on the fingertips of the corresponding hand, energize the core and voila' -- this lifting to fingertips gives more space to get the leg forward.

The other interesting part of the class is the fact that I share teaching this class with a friend whose practice is composed of more power than mine (no Anusara®). I had always thought that she was working the group harder, and probably they enjoyed her teaching more because their got their backsides kicked. Not true. In the last two groups I've heard that I am the tougher of our 'tag-team'. They feel they work harder with me. Must be all that alignment stuff, right?

So, what else exciting happened yesterday? My Gentle Yoga class was another great example of a group of students who are truly happy to be in yoga and that 'truly happy' emotion is reflected in their welcoming nature. I had one new student, and one who appears occasionally, join the class yesterday. The others (my veterans) -- all were introducing themselves and chatting away as I entered the room. What a group! Love it!

Doing some recreational reading right now - after that test, my brain cells needed a bit of 'fluff'. We were in Driggs a couple weeks ago, and I picked up two new books. I've finished one and am working on the second (I buy the BEST books in Driggs). What are they? Hotel on the Corner of Bitter & Sweet (a fiction love story about WWII's affect on the Japanese in Seattle); and The Missing (a fiction about a kidnapping in Louisiana). Both were/are quick reads, if you're looking for something to soothe your brain cells.

Today's schedule? Teaching at 10 am at Kula; at 4 pm (YogaHour) at The Yoga Center; and at 5:45 (Level 1) also at The Yoga Center. Inbetween? Who knows.

P.S.  I believe I only used my parrot word 'so' once in this blog. Good for me!

2 comments:

Kimberly Achelis Hoggan aka Sita LivDeep said...

Exciting :) i like the step through tips. I agree with yoru students I tihnk your classes and Anusara classes are tough. In the practice on Anusara you really are really working so many of the priniciples I think it takes alot more strength energical/emotional/physical. Then some there styles.

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Hi leslie