Monday, June 7, 2010

A COMMUNITY OF HAND BALANCERS . . .

Sunday morning with BJ began at 9:30. On the schedule? Hand balances.

As people arrived, it was clear that many had similar 'issues' as me -- more than a few sore muscles in the room. Not necessarily a negative, at least it gave us introductory comments for one another, like "hi, how are you? I'm feeling more from my glutes than normal, you?" Something like that. Good conversation starters.

We sat. BJ took a few minutes to talk about community (or 'common-unity', as she phrased it a couple of times). About how we are all part of a community -- be it our family, our circle of friends, our yoga class companions, our work group, city, state, world --- on, on, on. Her point - that as part of community, we all have an impact; our actions will influence others whether we know it or not. All this she brought back to arm balancing and the need for the whole 'community' of our body to participate in order for a safe, successful arm balance to happen. A bit of community support - as in cheering from workshop participants - would also contribute happily to our efforts.

We warmed up. I'm feeling stiff, but nowhere as sore as yesterday (big sigh of relief). BJ took us through standing poses in order to loosen hamstrings, open hips, teach hugging the midline -- all things (plus more) needed to effectively ready our personal community to balance on our hands.

The fun began. Challenging, hard work. Refinements offered, received and implemented - voila! A community working together to accomplish a goal (or, in some cases, work towards a goal).

Personally, I like arm balances - now. My first was bakasana, and I've done well with that one over the years. Why do I say years, because it seemed like years to become comfortable with my ability to get and stay in the pose. Then instructors began introducing me to handstand, vascistasana, and the myriad of other arm balances out there. Limiting factor for me, hips & hamstrings (upper back, too, because melting the heart - letting the shoulderblades move onto the back - is a big 'community' player in these poses). I do notice my hamstrings giving it up a little for the sake of the community these days (and my back - well, while not perfect, the change is amaaazzziinngg.

So, some progress for me. I've learned to never take anything for granted; any progress is GREAT progress. Another important point for me to remember in these poses -- don't compare myself to others. That would be like the 'kiss of you-know-what'. Instant depletion. I have to support my body 'community' emotionally, and that can't happen if I'm comparing myself to others in the room.

I took BJ's advice and focused on my community, yet I supported and cheered the others in the room, the bigger community. All the while, remembering that we are all different - different bodies - different emotional make-up - different skillsets & abilities.

A fun morning, that - once again - ended too soon.  When she returns, we'll be doing longer sessions, I guarantee it!

Going to try to post a few pictures - first time on the Mac, we'll see how it goes.  (There are more on Facebook.)


Paula's beautiful vascithasana . . .

Jen F. pressing up - look at those legs; everything's working!

Jen H. moving from bakasana to handstand (she then went back to bakasana, and lightly hopped back to plank) . . .

Definitely not an arm balance, but Kim's 'community' needed to experience Hanumanasana -- beautiful!

Hope your Monday is beautiful,

1 comment:

Kimberly Achelis Hoggan aka Sita LivDeep said...

thanks for sharing! it helps me understand what BJ was saying more fully by reading your recap of the weekend....loved the pictures