Saturday, June 19, 2010

CREATURE OF HABIT

Woke the computer up this a.m., worked for a few minutes, then everything went down -- no internet connection from the house, so have to turn to the mobile connection. Thank goodness for that.  One thing this teaches me is how much I've become a creature of habit. I have my routine; don't mess with it - that is, unless it's my choice.

So, back on-line through the mobile connection, things are better.

I spent a few minutes reflecting on this reaction, wondering what relationship it has to my yoga life.  There are a couple, I can think of --

First, I often teach for others (subbing classes). When I enter a class as a sub, it is to teach them well; however, it won't be like their regular instructor. Sometimes I tell students that. It soon becomes evident how much other people are 'creatures of habit'. There is a pattern they've become used to in their practice - a way that their regular instructor leads them through sun salutations, or takes them into standing poses.  I know that when they come to standing while I still have everyone in a lunge, or step back as I ask people to come forward to uttanasana.  Habit.  Time for the 'beginner mind' reminder.

I do the same -- get used to my way of doing things.  What does this mean? Not a negative, necessarily, but a good reminder. A reminder to always listen - carefully.  Especially if I'm with a new- or different-to-me instructor, either in a class or workshop setting.

Habit can also get in the way of my progression in poses that I may not enjoy. I avoid them. Like the plague. Unless I'm in a classroom or workshop setting. In my own personal practice -- I stick with what's comfortable, what fits in my comfortable habit pattern - that means the 'dvesha' poses (poses I don't like) do not get worked on as often as needed.

This blog entry is about to end. Because, my habit is to spend time writing blog entries; time I don't have this morning.  Well, today, I'll have to break that habit and get moving.

Hope you have a great Saturday,

No comments: