Sunday, June 20, 2010

THE GREAT RESISTANCE . . .

I attended a class last week in which the instructor talked about 'shri' (divine beauty). The context - that sometimes circumstances make it hard to see the 'shri' in all circumstances and people, but that it can happen if we soften. The personal story attached to this referenced students who will not - no matter how much cajoling - carry out an instruction (in this case, feet parallel).

We talked after class and shared ideas on how to deal with students who resist our instructions - is it that they don't like us? is it that they can't do it? is it that they don't want to do it? is it the way we are teaching?

It reminds me of S.F. earlier this year, where John made it clear that he gives students freedom to be expressive, but does demand students follow his lead. During the course of the week, I watched a young woman meticulously set up her mat and many small items that created a puja, of sorts. During our practices this student would do many of the poses, but was clearly in her own world - moving her arms and hands in distracting fashion, taking poses to places not asked for. After a couple days of noticing and correcting by John, she arrived and set up her mat; then disappeared, not to return.

I have to suspect that he (or someone) had a talk with her and suggested it would be better if she made a choice -- participate in the manner being asked, or not. Simple.

But, just try it -- tell someone they should choose coming to class or not. Doesn't sound easy; doesn't sound like something I want to do, hope I never have to do.

Once in a while, tho, in walks the student with expectations different from my own. Anxious to be in the class, but not anxious to do much more than the minimal work. That should be o.k.; but I have to tell you, for me, it's frustrating. To hear, over and over, reasons a pose can't be done, about muscle aches, about weak arms.

What to do? What to do when you have other students ready and eager to follow your lead, but one clearly not 'in the room' with everyone else?

From all this, you guessed it -- I had it happen. What did I do? I was patient, tried to be pleasant, tried not to get flustered, as I tried to accommodate this student and others (others who were doing o.k.). I walked away, however, shaking my head; wondering why -- trying to understand. Student was fit, had done yoga before, was flexible. I've had students resist certain poses before, but never every pose. So, maybe it was me, the way I was transmitting the teaching, my presentation of the material. That's not to say I wasn't doing it well, it's just one of those communication things -- maybe I reminded this student of someone she didn't like; an old school teacher; or, some authority figure. It could happen.

I'll just take a breath and move on. I doubt - unless I really read her wrong - that I'll have to tell her to make a choice.

The shri in this? That in typing and re-reading, I am not feeling all beat up about it. I know that my teaching will not resonate with everyone; I also know that it does agree with many. I did my best; it just wasn't or isn't always going to be the 'best class ever' for everyone. The fact that I'm o.k. with that is shri enough for me.

Today? Wishing everyone a Happy Father's Day.

Enjoy Sunday,

No comments: