Tuesday, June 1, 2010

EARLY, EARLY, EARLY . . .

Up early to drive home from a nice Holiday weekend in Idaho.  We arrived Saturday afternoon, fired up the woodstove (it's cold here, still), and settled in.  I could give details (what we ate, what we did), suffice it to say it's been a nice, relaxing weekend with a little fun (our style - flyfishing) thrown in.

No yoga classes to teach or to take. Our flyfishing guide yesterday, tho, was curious about yoga; giving me an ample stage from which to 'talk' yoga. I learned, from this conversation, that I've become very comfortable with the language of yoga, the language I use almost every day. Why comment? Because I got a good reminder that there are many people out there who have no idea what I do (or why), and when I use words like 'anusara' or 'ayurveda', those are words totally outside their vocabulary (just like 'tippet' escapes my lingo - tippet is a fine line attached between our regular fishing line and the fly we are casting. I briefly googled it -- too much info to write here, but it helps the fly land more effectively in the water - I think.)

He may not have known much about yoga or ayurveda, but he certainly knows his craft and used many of the skills we use teaching yoga to help us catch some BIG fish.  He used well-placed instruction on our casting - where and how; and was complimentary when instructions were carried out. Firm, yet not overly pushy; knowledgeable, but without giving too much information. Nice sense of humor, yet not lax in boat rules. Something else I noticed - when one of us was getting more attention than the other, he quickly offered the other a bit of advice. Savvy guide.

Fun weekend, now back to work.  Short post, just to stay in touch.

Have a great Tuesday,

No comments: