Sunday, May 30, 2010

SHRADDA

Shradda was the basis of my theme for yesterday's class.  I distilled it's meaning to trust, confidence, faith. Then I did a little dictionary research (a la Christina):

     Trust - firm belief in reliability of something/someone.
            Norse origin, 'traust' = strength
     Confidence - feeling that we can trust something or someone.
             Latin origin, 'confidentia' = full trust
     Faith - complete trust or confidence in someone/something.
             Latin origin, 'fides' = trust (Roman Goddess of Trust, even)

Sanskrit words, I find, have more than one meaning, depending on who you are talking to. Hence, where I might have just used trust, I added in confidence and faith - just to cover most of the bases. I was pleased that I could relate both confidence and faith back to trust (especially with their origins to back me up). Then, even more pleased with the origin of trust -- strength.

It provided me with a ton of material to work with in phrasing and, hopefully, inspiring my class. A Level 1 class composed of continuing and newer-to-yoga students.

When I submit my video to Anusara, I must also submit the written plan for the class I was teaching. I suppose that's so they can see what direction I had planned for the class, if I am sequencing appropriately, what my preparation looks like, etc. I had started, right after completing the on-line mentoring course with Christina, to write out my plans. They look something like this:

  1. Introduction / story - A few paragraphs journaling theme that alludes to heart quality, tells students what UPA we will emphasize, and - perhaps - I'll tell them what our apex is (especially if it is a challenging pose).
  2. I do write down what props I want them to have, so we can be prepared from the start (no running to get props during the class); this is a new addition to my written plan, and valuable. Nothing like a video where everyone disappears as they run to grab a strap or block!?!?!
  3. My sequence - nothing fancy.  Just a list of poses we will do, in the order to be done.  I even include 'center', 'chant', 'warm-up', 'cool down', 'savasana'.
  4. I use the thesaurus to find words to convey theme, heart quality. I write a list of those words at the end of my plan.  I also came across a note in regarding planning a class, where John says "be sure to explore the opposite of your heart quality".  Where I used "trust" yesterday, I ought to have explored "doubt" more -- as in 'don't doubt the strength of your legs, trust that foundation you've built'.
  5. Finally, I jot down a list of a few phrases I might use to remind students of our journey. I began a few trainings back to develop a document of 'valuable phrases I've heard'. What are these? In classes, we hear John say 'be steady, full stretch' or 'do the best you can and, while doing your best, remain steady". I've written these and more down for future reference, plus many from other instructors that I've heard. Why? Because phrasing doesn't come easy for me; I tend to get pretty technical.  Therefore, I review the list, find a few that are appropriate and write them down. I may or may not use them verbatim, but it's a good reminder for me to be more creative in my speech.  
Now, depending on who comes into class, this could all change; as it could change with the energy of the group. But, no matter. I feel prepared and that translates in my teaching. When I finally have that perfect video, this document will already be typed and ready to go with it (and, if it did change - maybe I'll add a note about reason for change). What other benefit? The added time spent in preparation means a more effective class for students. I'm ready!

Have a great Sunday,

No comments: