Friday, June 4, 2010

NOTES & OTHER OBSERVATIONS

The end of a busy week, and the beginning of an even busier weekend.  BJ ARRIVES TODAY!!! And, she's already forewarned me -- she's full of SHAKTI and ready to PLAY !!!

If you are reading this and are anywhere in the vicinity of Salt Lake, come on over -- there's space for more mats and it promises to be great.

Now, to the topic at hand, NOTES:

1.  I made several observations on my behavior yesterday. (A minor 'alibi-ike', as I call them, remember it's been a busy week, month, year for me - sometimes bordering on mind-blowing - not of the John Friend vernacular).

  • First, I decided to patronize a friend's flower shop to purchase a pretty arrangement for the workshop. The problem? I called 5 minutes before starting a class. The order-taker-person was new (I hope), and therefore very thorough and slow. I was needlessly impatient.  I started the class, therefore, 5 minutes late - not good, a bit flustered, and cursing (under my breath). Not good, Leslie; not good.
  • Next? I received news that we (my husband and I) must be in court in Idaho in early July - the result of a fishing license infraction (purchased a resident license - we have a home in Idaho, but don't vote there - wrong thing to do).  Received that news with a less than equanimous demeanor. More time sucked out of my Summer .
  • And next? It has finally decided to get warm here. The studio I own is on the second floor and heats up quite nicely - not my students' favorite climate for their yoga practices. After several attempts to get someone out to service and turn on the swamp cooler, a repair person arrived last night at 7. I guess I was saving my equanimous nature for this event - I was irritated, yet grateful, that he finally arrived and got it turned on.  
2.  On the good news side of things - teaching was good yesterday. My class at Kula was fun, and we had a couple breakthrough moments.  I call breakthrough moments any time someone does something they doubt they can do - we did "L" at the wall, in preparation for handstand. At least one student was fearful; and others worried about their wrists. Turned out the fears were unwarranted - all went well. Next time we'll take it away from the wall.  

My YogaHour class was a first time into headstand for one student. The others were in various stages of development. What began as "huh? I've never done that.", turned into "I kicked myself up". (This is always a bit envy-creating for me; I remember working for a LONG time to kick up to headstand. But, I do rejoice in the fact that there was not much struggle for this student - it can be a bit defeating to try and try and try and try . . . )

The final class of the day, a Level 1, we stayed low. Remember, the room was very warm - with only a small fan cooling us. One student is participating in a long bike ride this coming weekend, so it was good to work on hips, hamstrings, quads, etc.  

3.  Participating in John's conference call this afternoon. I wonder how many signed up for it and how it will go. He's having an open forum discussion of philosophy. I believe most people were invited; and I think most people would want to participate -- how do you get hundreds on a conference call and answer the many questions that will result. Or, maybe he's divided us up into batches; doing one section at a time. Curious to see how it goes. 

4.  I've taken a moment and looked at my 'notes' book, for a tip -- I've been working with this one, so I'll share it (it's from John's Level II teaching training, Oct. 2009):  "Tell students why we are doing what we are doing - what benefit does doing a particular movement provide the student."  I've learned I can overdo this, but I also know that people are curious and appreciate a few explanations each class. Desiree also gave this instruction in the first Anusara® teacher training I attended 

Well, got to sign off. This will be a weekend of 'going with the flow'. BJ's life is anything but calm. My task will be to serve her and serve my students. I do plan to have a good time, and do some good yoga.  

I may not blog again until Monday, or I might, you never know.  

Hope your weekend is a good one,

No comments: