Thursday, June 3, 2010

ONE MORE DAY . . .

BJ returns to Salt Lake City tomorrow to do a weekend 'playshop' at my studio.  It will be fun, fun, fun (and, I suspect, hard work).  I have to tell you that life has gotten in the way of a strenuous yoga practice on my part.  Slow and steady would be a more apt description of my practice these past 3 months.

I read Karen's blog last night (linked here as 'Garden Street Yoga'), and feel a bit better about the 'slow and steady' part.  She took an opportunity to compare her practice today (in her 50's) to what it was 10 or 15 years ago. That our perspective changes; what was good 10-15 years ago, may not be the path now. I like that. It doesn't give me license to be a slacker, but it also acknowledges that change in our practice - our emphasis, our choices, even our stamina - will happen.

On another note -- I was told two days ago that I'm a bit more rigorous in my teaching than some others. That may be because of what I wrote in yesterday's post -- today, for me, it is more important for students to 'show up' (to do their fullest practice), and sometimes that's challenging in itself - even if we're just doing basic stuff.

Facebook is a good resource for me on what others are doing.  Doc is doing a minimum of an hour each day on his mat for the next 100+ days; many are doing pincha mayurasana (forearm balance) for 2-3 minutes each day for the month of June; others are working their shins in, thighs out; and many more of my friends are devoting hours each day to their asana practice. I will find a midline, work slow and steady - because I think steady (for me) is the important component right now.

My perspective on this is different from yours and others.  This is valuable for me to realize, because this different perspective is revealed to me each time I step in front of a class of students.  Their priorities are not the same as mine, which requires me to really examine my audience, try to figure out their priorities and work with those, all the while moving them in the direction of my goal for them -- a full, rewarding yoga practice that leaves them feeling good about themselves, even if we are just doing tadasana (mountain pose).

Now, back to the earlier comment about my 'rigorous teaching'. I say this, not because I want to tout my skills as a teacher.  I say this because I have a tendency to put myself down as 'older and not as flexible' as many yoga instructors (my anava mala or sense of imperfection). These comments validate my efforts, and I appreciate the validation more than I can tell you. This is helping me realize that I can still be a powerful instructor despite my age or flexibility. Slow and steady goes it.

Have a nice Thursday,

No comments: