Thursday, June 17, 2010

ONLY THE STRONG & WELL PREPARED SURVIVE (in comfort) . . .

We have an outdoor concert series here in SLC hosted by Red Butte Gardens.  2010 looked to be a GREAT line-up of entertainers (Chicago, Willie Nelson, Steve Martin - on the banjo, plus many others), so we purchased a sponsorship in order to secure tickets (and to make sure we attended most, if not all).

Last night was the second of the series - Steve Martin on his banjo, with some comedy thrown in as he fine-tuned these instruments between songs (as this happened, all I could think of was Benjy Werthheimer's meticulous tuning -- similar scene).

Forecast for the day had been for high winds, with rain and thunderstorms later in the evening.  We had the wind all day, and, as I left the house for the concert, the rain was beginning.  These concerts happen rain or shine, so 'buyer beware'.  The friend who went with me (Howard's out of town, bummer) and I were well prepared -- many layers, umbrellas, boots, gloves, rain pants (me), hats & hoods. All this, plus a thermos of coffee, put us in good stead to sit outside in a cold rain. An event like this is not time to think "I have to look good"; rather "I must wear what will keep me warm and dry".

We arrived early for the sold-out performance, had a bite to eat, and huddled under the umbrellas until the performance began.  First, of course, was the lead-in act (or whatever they call it). Good, but long - just my opinion -- but then, sitting in the cold rain longer than absolutely necessary isn't my first choice of activities.  At about 8:30, Mr. Martin and the band traveling with him arrived on stage (the stoney river something? - they were good, but overshadowed, obviously).

I wonder how long the man has played the banjo -- he mentioned that the last time he played SLC was 40 years ago(!?!?!), so at least that long. It was a very good concert, dampened only by the weather. Certainly, not for the 'faint of heart' - audience and/or performers.

Earlier in the day, I taught Gentle Yoga -- and had a great group in attendance. I don't always ask what people would like to work on, but I did yesterday. One mentioned her shoulder blades were sore after last week's work. I think the majority have decided to stay silent, as they've learned their preference may be another's poison. And, this group is not shy about letting everyone know (even me) when something is not their preference (that doesn't mean we don't do the work, however).  We did a bit of shoulder work, then moved down to the hips.

I closed the class with a reminder of one definition of 'gentle' - gradually increasing (as in 'gentle slope'). I always need to remember the reasons people come to 'gentle yoga'; perhaps they have an injury or have been traveling or are just stiff or new to the practice. These reasons mean I can't throw every pose in the book at them; but, I do still have to challenge them a bit.

Finished up, ran a couple errands, then off to get a haircut.  Good job on the cut, Khaled (maybe he read yesterday's post).

I just re-read this before 'publishing', and thought - this isn't really much about yoga. Then I thought - I wonder why I don't usually ask people what they want to work on? I think I know - because many times, I'll get a request for 'poses to help with digestion' or 'poses to counter insomnia' - like that. To tell the truth, I don't know what poses are best to help with digestion or counter insomnia; I guess that would be my answer. So, I avoid the question.

Still not much about yoga in here, but going to 'publish' anyway.

Teaching at 10 at Kula (everyone's yoga), then taking Pilates at 1, teaching YogaHour at 4 at The Yoga Center, and teaching Level 1 at 5:45 at The Yoga Center -- Thursdays are busy days!

Hope your Thursday is peaceful,

No comments: