Wednesday, June 16, 2010

PHOTOS

For longer than I can remember, I look enviously at other peoples' beautiful pictures as they show up on Facebook, their blogs, or their websites. I finally took the plunge and found someone to take some pics of me (maybe we can call this a #400 celebration gift).

First, finding someone is no easy task. There are many photographers in SLC, and many who have worked with the various yoga instructors around the valley. I decided I would find someone different, and began my search through 'Google' - googling Photographers SLC. After going through many websites, I found a young man whose website was clear and understandable, and whose work looks very good. We met yesterday, decided to do a two-part shoot (one, to promote the studio and teaching I do; the other, for my 'ego' - to satisfy this long-standing desire to have 'cool' pictures of myself). I also am asked for photos on occasion, so this is not just an ego-satisfying activity - there is purpose.

He (photographer) came to the YogaHour class yesterday. This group is wonderfully welcoming and relaxed, so no problem for them that he was there shooting pictures. The one issue for me - remembering to stand a little straighter and try to hold my stomach in a bit.

After the class, we made our way up to Neff's Canyon - a little-known canyon here in SLC at the north base of Mt. Olympus (south of Millcreek Canyon). From the parking lot, there are great views of both the mountains and the Valley.

After we did some face shots with mountain and valley in background, we moved into the canyon to a creek. Discarded my shoes and began to attempt some yoga-looking poses (using the UPA's, no less -- especially 'Open to Grace' - as I'm standing with one foot on a small rock, the other on a larger rock a bit upstream.). I soon realized that my feet were going numb; this is a stream fueled by the snow melt, after all.

We even got in some shots of Howard and I (and the dogs).

It was fun. A different activity - a change-up in the routine - after all, yoga in a cold stream, is not something I do every day, or every month, or ever?

I hope the pics turn out well - I always have high expectations, like when I go in for a haircut, that things will go well. Not always do some things (like haircuts) turn out as positively as I'd hoped. I am trying to stay 'middle of the road here' - if expectations are too high, disappointment can follow. Out of 180+ shots, (the 'blinking' shots are not included in this count), there have to be some good ones. You'll know if I post some on this blog.

Today's schedule?  Teaching Gentle Yoga at 10 am, haircut in the afternoon. Getting ready for a family visit next week. Going to see Steve Martin tonight at Red Butte Gardens - playing his banjo. Hope the weather doesn't interfere -- wild winds forecast for today.

Have a nice Wednesday,

No comments: