Friday, July 16, 2010

PROGRESS

For someone who teaches yoga, I have the tightest hips, hamstrings & shoulders; so tight that I often despair. Discouragement is a nasty emotion - it eats right at the core of my self-confidence, making me feel a bit 'less than'. Over the years of being the 'older & stiffer student' in the room, I suppose I've learned to work with the emotion, to diffuse it a bit.

The other day, I was finishing a class and one of the new-to-me (and yoga) students lingered to ask some questions. He was concerned that he wasn't able to fold in paschimottanasana as well as some. (This person, for being newer, has beautiful potential - very body aware and very wholeheartedly approaching this practice.) I explained that some poses, in particular forward folds while seated, are more technical and require a bit (or a lot) of patience.

As we continued to talk, he also expressed concern about modifications - his desire, 'to do it right - the first time'. Well, my view on modifications goes like this: We modify, so that when when we are ready  for (or asked to do) the fuller expression of the pose, we've had some time to explore the finer points of each pose. Therefore, in my class, we use walls, blocks, straps, etc. Never as a replacement, but as a stepping stone in the progression to the asana we're working on. And, I make sure students understand that - that the prop is not a replacement, just a helping hand on our journey.

For example, tree pose (vrksasana): many arrive in class, do the pose with their foot on their calf. That's o.k., however after doing it that way for too long they may forget that the fuller, more satisfying and stronger form is with the foot in the opposite thigh. I rarely introduce tree pose with the foot-in-calf alternative -- I will always ask students to 'get it up there' (the foot). Once we see where that goes, we may modify back to calf; but the goal of foot in thigh is still out there waiting.

I also went on to confess that, when I know it is going to be a tough class -- lots of arm work, lots of strength work, etc., -- I will modify my chaturanga dandasanas to the knees, maybe every 2nd or 3rd time. Reserving strength throughout the practice. I thought he might understand, since one of his opening comments to me was "I'm not sure about this, after all I'm 58." But, no - his comment: "Oh, you slough." An innocuous comment, but it caused a bit of bristling (in me). One I've thought about a lot in the last couple days.

Personally, I can rationalize this modification for myself -- I can use age and shoulder tenderness as very valid reasons to modify. Do I slough, though? I'm still thinking 'no'. I am doing the best I can with the body I have, and one thing my teachers might say about me is that I do (or attempt to do) everything -- it may not be 'pretty', but there is an attempt. Need to think about that more. Do I slough?

I began this post to talk about progress. I make progress by allowing my body to explore poses and sometimes that exploration happens more effectively if I cut myself a bit of slack (use a prop), and then discard the prop and 'voila!' progress. Yesterday's YogaHour class worked on krounchasana. Without warming up, I was able to demo the pose for them. My back was straighter, my leg closer to my face, and my hands were holding my foot, my elbows were even bent slightly. I've always used a strap - until Tiffany's class on Wednesday. Now, that's progress.

Had to take a moment, have everyone sit, so I could calm my heart rate (excited). Bent elbows! Straighter back! Holding foot with my own hands! Straight extended knee! Face closer to leg! Purna!

Today's Plan:
Gentle Yoga at 10 am at The Yoga Center
Then 'no-plan' plan (taking it easy, maybe do some reading, plan tomorrow's class, review the videos on my camera -- lots of things I can slip into the 'no-plan' plan)

Have a great Friday,

1 comment: