Thursday, July 15, 2010

JUST AS I PLANNED . . .

Yesterday, that is.  In preparation to write an entry, I will usually go back to read the previous day's post -- kind of remind myself of any commitments I made, promises to be kept, or outrageous statements. In that post, I listed my major activities for the day as 'teaching Gentle Yoga' and 'attending Tiffany's class'.

So I'm pleased that I stuck with the 'schedule'.

Gentle Yoga happened as planned with some new faces in the room.  That's always fun and challenging. Many of these students arrive as new-to-yoga, with injuries, and/or struggling with some kind of issue. In addition to teaching them yoga, it's important that I get to know them very well -- what the issue/injury is, how they deal with it daily, how much can they handle in a class, their level of commitment, what treatment they've had (and, if so, is their doctor aware they're coming to this class) and their willingness to 'let go', etc.

By 'let go', I'm going back to something I posted previously about JF's comment that some people absorb their injuries as part of their persona (i.e. "I'm Sally and I have a bad back" -- like that).  To give them work that asks them to give up part of their identity - if they're not ready - is not always going to happen.

In a classroom setting, it isn't easy to play '20 questions' with a new student - for some it's a bit uncomfortable, and for the other students in the room - well, they came for yoga too. So, over the three (or is it four?) years I've taught this particular class, my observation skills have become sharper. I watch for signs of pain, of stress, of displeasure. I also watch for a smile, a glimmer of recognition -- I need to feel good also as we move through the class.

This group, despite their 'stuff', is generous with feedback. We have developed a banter, not common in most yoga classes. This 'banter' is a source of information for me; therefore, I encourage it. The most exciting, for me, is to hear that a student has noticed something about their body that they previously had not felt. One, in particular, comes to mind: the student who (in supta tadasana and with a little help from me) felt their thighs release and ground into the floor. Love it when they notice, they pay attention, and they experience a bit of happiness as a result.

After class, paperwork -- always paperwork. I have a pile of data entry to be done, but I keep procrastinating on that one. If I would just to 10-20 a day, it would go away. Easier said.

Home to do 'home stuff'. Then up to Park City for Tiffany's class. And, what a nice class it was. Tiffany is on her way to Certification (I believe an approved video is in, but no 'official' word yet). She began by openly telling us that she had no plan - honest. Her theme, tho, was clear - how does our yoga practice affect us; how can it change a not-so-good day into a day of awareness and beauty. My interpretation, anyway, and it worked for me.

As we began to move, as her creative juices began to flow, and - I suppose - as she evaluated the skill level in the room, she declared 'we're going to work towards surya yantrasana'. Not one of my favorites, only because my version is not always pretty. After lots of spiral work, hip opening, heart softening, and hamstring warming, we were there; and I was further into the pose than ever before -- actually felt good about it. To top it off, on the way we ventured into krounchasana and that pose was more accessible!  Kudos to Tiffany's no-plan plan -- it worked!

Today's Schedule
Home stuff, errands
Studio stuff, including that ever-present paperwork
YOGA HOUR, 4 pm, at The Yoga Center

Hope you have a thrilling Thursday,

1 comment:

Tiffany Wood said...

Leslie, you are so awesome. Thank you so much for your insights on my class. Thank you for receiving my no plan and seeing the plan. I want you to know that I love your blog. You share from authenticity. You always have great pearls of wisdom. I really admire you for putting it out there for us to experience. Thank you!