Sunday, July 18, 2010

STARTING OVER (on the blog post, that is) . . .

Some mornings, thoughts are just not evolved enough to write about. Therefore, I'm starting over on this blog post -- I realized upon trying to write earlier, there were just too many distractions to give it my full attention. I'll just keep it simple this morning.

Yesterday's class turned into a 'keep it low and slow' type of experience. Very hot here (as I understand it is through much of the country); and my swamp cooler (I believe) is not working as powerfully as it has in the past. Maybe it's just that it's also a bit humid and that affects swamp cooler performance, I've been told.  So, a class on refinement ensued.

We started in child's pose and kept returning to it. Inbetween, there were some forays into shifting chaturanga dandasana -- from hips dropping first, to hips & heart reaching the floor at the same time; with shoulders at elbow height. The transition, then, to bujangasana becomes more easeful. Of all the poses done, that was probably one of the most transformative.

When standing (or sitting) I encouraged the "hanger" alignment for the shoulders. Imagine the shape of a clothes hanger (extended triangle). For many students, the shoulders follow the shape of that umbrella -- imagine the neck as the hanger hook, the shoulders as the downward sloping topside of the hanger. These, interestingly, are also students who comment that their necks are tight or sore.  Maybe their neck and shoulder muscles are getting extended a bit too much? Ya think?

Flip that hanger (lift the shoulders, using the side body expansion to help create that action, and place shoulder blades firmly on the back -- then expand out), insert skull loop, and voila! neck tension releases.

After our shoulder and chaturanga work, I moved the class to the floor and some restorative poses followed.

The remaining day, for me, was relatively low and slow, as well.  A brief trip to the Farmer's Market - which was crowded and hot. Then a good lunch with my husband at an un-airconditioned Mexican restaurant. Onward to do some grocery shopping, then home.

Today?  A movie, some housework - cleaning & sorting, laundry. Get ready for a busy week, and get it done before the hot afternoon sets in.

Hope you have a good day & stay cool,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chaturanga is not always the easiest pose for me. Thanks for mentioning it. I found that Leeann Carey has a great free yoga video on chaturanga dandasana. Your readers might want to check it out: http://planetyoga.com/yoga-blogs/index.php/chaturanga-dandasana-four-limbed-staff-pose/