Monday, July 19, 2010

VIDEOS

Ah, videos. Gotta love 'em. Can't hate 'em. They're a part of my life now. Just keep plugging along. Spoken like someone striving to become a Certified Anusara® yoga instructor.

On Sunday, I finally got to the videos on my camera - reviewed them, decided that one has potential. Then the fun began. Figure out how to save the video to the computer. Then process it (get it ready to go to the DVD), then burn it to the DVD. My computer does this, but I worry each time -- it just sits on the dining room table chugging (actually, it's humming) along for hours. It takes 3 hours to burn the 1.5 hour DVD (plus the 3+ hours spent reviewing, saving, processing). All the while, I'm praying that we don't have an interruption in power (possible with all the air conditioners running in the neighborhood on these hot days).

This is the first time I've done this whole process by myself - the last being 2 months ago, at the Apple store, and my memory had surprisingly not entirely failed me.  Some things looked a bit different during the process, but I think I have a DVD out of it all.  Hoo-Ray!

One of the difficult things about this process, for me, is watching the DVD.  I don't enjoy hearing my voice and I am super critical of my appearance (posture, physique). That means I need to get past those two things to see the good stuff and the not-so-good stuff about the teaching being offered.

I'll now send this DVD to Sundari with a note outlining the positives and the not-so-positives, from my perspective.  I'll wait and soon I'll get a call. Her feedback is so important, yet it has not always been easy to hear. Accepting feedback is one of those 'side' skills we learn as we travel this path.

Once a friend asked me to give feedback after taking their class. I tried to do as my mentor does -- offer the good and then offer some suggestions for improvement. (BTW, even offering feedback is tough, I found.) To each point I made, this instructor had a reason, a rationalization. What was meant to be a learning experience (for both of us) turned into a debate (a nice debate, but a debate nonetheless).

I learned a good lesson from being in that situation. That accepting feedback is simply that, accepting. Listen, absorb, accept. Don't argue, don't rationalize, don't make excuses. Accept.

I do feel good about this video. As Christina Sell says, we juggle a lot of balls in the air when we teach Anusara® yoga. Theme, heart quality, sequence, the alignment principle we are working with, languaging, moving around the room, modifying where needed -- all this and more as we teach one 90-minute yoga class. To do all that and capture it on a video is tough, but I see improvement on each one I do.

What was the most remarkable thing I saw on this video? I moved through the room, offering suggestions and help to students (and positive feedback), where needed -- throughout the class.

What still needs work?  Carrying the theme through the class. I did o.k. for the first 45 minutes, then got a bit technical, going back to the theme less and less after than magic middle point.

I am happy, tho, despite the 'still needs work' part -- I saw more positives than negatives; a good thing.

Today's Plan: 
Appointment for routine medical exam
Tiffany teaches at 10 and at 5:30 -- if I don't make it to the 10; then 5:30, here I come
Errands - get the video in the mail!

Have a great Monday,

1 comment:

Julie Taylor said...

It is inspiring to read about someone in the process of making a video for examination. I wish you well!