Wednesday, August 25, 2010

AND, DAY TWO

I wrote some of this last night after returning from dinner; finishing it on Wednesday morning -- EARLY.

Another great day in Park City with 3 more urdhvas under my belt, two drop-backs and one stand back up (don't know what else to call it).  If you do yoga, you'll understand; if you don't, just know that for me it's a BIG accomplishment.

My day began early, driving up to PC to place mats so that I could be close to Sundari, Primo, and Peter - all good yoga friends. We practiced, we laughed, we learned, and then we went to dinner -- perfect ending to a great day.

I received my first Rakhi bracelets today - both physically and symbolically. Rakhi Day is a traditional Indian holiday, which began as families committed annually to protect and love one another. Over the years, it's expanded to include family and friends, and the tradition has spread across oceans and continents. A Rakhi bracelet is a simple braided string tied to the wrist, symbolizing that person's love and commitment to protect you and vice versa. Rakhi Day always falls on the first full moon of August.

My physical Rakhi bracelet is red, gold and white (embroidery thread) and came from my friend, Lynn. Sundari offered her Rakhi blessings over dinner tonight to me, as well.  Special.

Tuesday's lecture was more on the second six chapters of the Bhagavad Gita.  JF pointed out on Monday that, if you pay attention, you'll notice that the second six chapters are a repeat of the first six - just with more explanation (not sure if that's the right word, but - it's early). Then, the third six are another repeat. Well, I didn't notice that - so, a learning experience for me.

We explored the cakras more with input from Anodea. They become so much more clear when hearing about them, than when trying to read about them. Puts a 'story' to each, not just fact.  Love it.

Our practice in the morning was intense - long, mindful holds. I revisited an 'old friend pose', as John asked me to demo ardha chandrasana - as an example of leg height (mine is not high enough; there's work to be done!). The rest of the pose was o.k. -- I held it, I felt in control, and good about the effort.

As I mentioned, 3 more urdhva's (wheel) plus a drop back (one person assists the other in tipping back into the pose) and an assisted coming back up. I was able to do two, since Peter helped me and - being all about proper alignment - he wouldn't pull me back up because my arms were bent on the first go-round. Second time, feel more - he said; this time arms better, so I got to stand back up (I've only done that once or twice before).

Afternoon practice was a mix of meditation/pranayama, seated poses, a few uttanasana to feel the effects, finishing with a wonderful savasana.

And dinner - fun. Great laughs and good food (food always tastes SO good at these events, and I eat much more healthily).

Onward -- notes to type, dogs to walk, mat duty this morning, then -- I'll keep you posted!

Have a nice Wednesday,

No comments: