Tuesday, August 24, 2010

MONUMENTAL DAY ONE !!!

Day one of the Immersion III training with JF went like this -- lecture, practice, lecture in the morning; lecture, practice, short meditation in the afternoon.

In addition to talking about the Tattvas (principles), he moved into the Bhagavad Gita. This book, I had been told, is actually our story. I had resisted that notion. Why? Because no one ever told me why -- they just said it. And, even though I have read it at least 3 times, I had never done an in-depth study with anyone on the book. Yesterday JF began to tell us why (through the first six chapters). Ahhh, the light of understanding begins to shine. (oh, well, only took 8 years or so)

We moved into Cakras, and - with Anodea Judith in attendance - we had not only JF to offer, but Anodea gave us some great info to work with, as well.

And, as I begin to write, know that I have some notes to transcribe, so this will be another 'quickly' written blog post; just enough to let you know what I'm up to and that I'm still around.

At an event like this, we meet many of our friends from past events, many of our current kula companions, and there's this incredible opportunity to meet new friends -- people we may have communicated with on Facebook or through things like this blog, or never have had contact with. It is an amazing opportunity. It is also a bit daunting for someone like me. My 'love my comfort zone' personality is thrown into a whole new realm at an event like this. I'm asked to really step into a space I'm not always comfortable with. Not a bad thing, just fact. It also fit perfectly with JF's theme for our morning practice -- turning up the tapas (heat) once in a while, stir the pot, and voila! Some change, some growth, certainly more awareness.

Best news of MY day:  5 (count'em FIVE) urdhva dhanurasanas in a row with almost-straight arms ! (For my non-yoga friends - those are backbends or wheel.)  The key? Taking my head further back, which created more shoulder blade support, which resulted in a slowmotion ride into the pose. Slow, not because it was hard; slow, because I could feel what was happening and maybe I just wanted to savor it (!?!?!?).

So, on to notes.

Have a great Tuesday, I plan to. . .

2 comments:

Kimberly Achelis Hoggan aka Sita LivDeep said...

wow. Anodea Judith was there. how awsome. I was supposed to come up today but I guess my name didnt make it to the volunteer list :(. Congrats on urdhvas. why did john say the gita was our story? did he connect it to iccha jnana kryia?

see you this weekend.

Shaun said...

The videos online of JF don't do him justice for how well he can teach in a workshop. Your backbend story reminded me of a story John told in a recent London workshop I went to. He raised over $10K for the NYC fire department by holding a backbend for over 25 minutes - whoa!