Saturday, August 14, 2010

CAN'T BELIEVE I MISSED FRIDAY . . .

True, but unbelievable nevertheless. I love writing in the blog on Fridays. I know that it will be a 'bullet-point' format; so, I don't need to write much on any one topic, plus I love offering a bit of information that readers might find useful. Oh, well -- I'll just take the opportunity on Saturday morning to write Friday's 'notes'. Here goes:

1.  I just spent a few frantic moments trying to remember why I didn't write yesterday. I did remember -- I was watching a video (yoga, of course); more therapeutic in nature, by Gary Kraftsow. Not sure how he fits in the scheme of Anusara® technique, but there are obviously things I can 'borrow' and use. Movement that will help students and that can be adapted. The video was about upper and lower back issues. Just hearing his description of causes, types of pain, back mechanics, etc., was good for me.

2.  This week I was hit with awareness - from Monday's night class with Tiffany until yesterday (and, perhaps, beyond) - the word 'awareness' kept moving into my field -- either through verbal transmission, reading, or practicing. One very powerful awareness for me came in the form of my own legs.

To explain, Cindy's theory about my lack of success in kicking up is that my hamstring muscles are tight, which means they are weak, leaving no 'kick' in my kick.. No argument with the tight part, but I had not thought of them as weak. So, since she mentioned this phenomenon, I've been doing work to strengthen and lengthen them (probably something I should have been doing for years; but, no one ever said it to me like that before).

As I participated in the Pilates class Thursday, another revelation -- weak abductor muscles!!! So, hips are weak, also. More work. The good part? I have goals, I know specifics to work on -- that always makes me a happier camper.

3.  Teaching this week felt stiff, until yesterday. Not sure why -- maybe out of practice after almost two weeks away. The absence also decimates class attendance - blahhhh! Yesterday, however, I went in prepared -- my stuff, plus a few new things I adapted from the Kraftsow video. The students in class struggle with low back, hip and SI joint issues, so what I 'adapted' offered them specific things to work on. Unlike 99% of the classes I teach, I did a few of these hip strengtheners with them -- need it.

4.  I attended The Practice last night at my studio. Fun and laughter were present throughout the room; plus some challenging poses offered. Let's just say, there were some glistening droplets of perspiration adorning my mat about 10 minutes into the actual practice. I am always amazed that I can work up a good 'sweat' doing what seem to be simple (and slow) things. For me, it demonstrates that I am truly working within my body - this 'glistening' represents my whole body's active participation in the poses. I don't have to move fast, never pausing, never 'thinking' (horrors) -- I just have to apply myself.

5.  I'm going through my notes, looking for something to offer and I keep seeing these phrases:

  • Keep it simple.
  • Go back to the basics.
  • See the beauty first.
  • Remember the source.
  • You must be strong to become flexible.
  • Every student is a gift.  
Finally, I saw the entry 'doing something more advanced allows us to do the more basic with more awareness'. That explains a long-standing memory - Noah in a workshop, teaching challenging poses. When through with a series, he asked for questions - one was asked (not by me): "why did you sequence with the less challenging pose following the more difficult one". There's the answer -- doing something more advanced allowed us to step back and do the less challenging pose with more integrity, more awareness. Gotta love it. (I also think it is a good thing to end on a successful note - so, I credit Noah with that same thought process -- offering workshop attendees a chance to end the series feeling good about the effort expended.)

Have a nice Saturday and weekend, 

No comments: