Sunday, August 22, 2010

HOLDING BACK OUT OF RESPECT

I often admire the person (or yoga instructor) who is able to sit with equanimity, observing yet not participating, as another teaches. Lots of self-discipline there. Lots of self-knowledge, too, I think. Able to know that you could jump in, yet choosing not to; hopefully, out of respect for the person in the 'seat' (seat of the teacher, as we call it).

Examples?

In a class (not mine), we partnered 3 people to the group as we worked on handstand. One person trying to kick, the other two there to offer advice and assistance, if needed. Being one of the three, I let the 'placement' work itself out -- who would kick and who would observe. I'd love to have offered my insights. Clearly, tho, the other observer wanted to be the 'teacher' for our group. Choices? To jump in and offer another source of information; or, step back and observe. Result? I stepped back and observed. Interesting - both to observe them and to observe my own inner workings. The offerings I would have given would have been different, presented in a different manner, yet nothing our partner did was incorrect or off-base; so, it worked out fine. Bonus? I got to experience in myself that equanimity that I sometimes envy (ooohh -- not the best word in the yoga world).

In keeping with the equanimity theme, a private this week offered another example. I gave instructions and guidance, yet observed the actions and results a good deal of the time. So much so, that the student became concerned about what I was thinking. (Maybe I carried 'equanimity' too far?) There are times, tho, when the balance of equanimity and action are needed -- we can't always be doing, saying, moving, explaining, demonstrating. There ought to be times when I simply sit or stand quietly and observe (don't cross my arms, tho -- that's a personal 'no-no'). This time spent observing gives me more insight to the student, their movement habits, their trigger points of pain -- it is one of the keys to good yoga therapy.

Finally, and this triggered this blog topic. Yoga teachers in a yoga event -- how do we act/react? I have always been one who will ask a question, make a comment - when appropriate, demo when asked. I will never usurp the teacher's position of authority -- no matter what I've heard in a JF (or someone else's) workshop or training (unless the instruction puts someone in danger; never had to do it, tho). I also will never do something that I haven't been instructed to do (i.e. taking malasana to bakasana -- unless I've been instructed to). Why? There are many times when the sequencing of a class is precise enough that doing an unasked-for pose inbetween is counterproductive. Not to mention the 'watch me do this' factor. I also believe that I am there as a student, to learn, to listen, to be as respectful as I would want my own students to be.

Enough.

But, remember this. In a JF event I attended, people took a pose further than they were instructed to do. He stopped us. He explained his sequencing, and that taking the pose further impeded progress in the direction he would be taking us. It was firm. It was - perhaps - embarrassing to those involved. He was our guide and he was in charge. That example reinforced my attitude in every class or practice I attend where someone else is directing the movement.

(That last paragraph is for some of you who might read this, who are signed up for a JF event and have never experienced him before.)

BTW, speaking of JF, just one day -- bright and early tomorrow morning, I'll be on my way to Park City. First thing on the agenda?  I signed up to be one of the 'mat generals' -- definition: one who tells you where to put your mat to maximize space in the room.  Ahhh, POWER!

Enjoy Sunday,

1 comment:

Kimberly Achelis Hoggan aka Sita LivDeep said...

interesting. when partnering it is a challenge to not teach but to observe, i agree that it helps you learn alot and equanimity. I also enjoyed your thoughts about yoga teachers at events. I am so excited for JF. I am only doing the workshop but am volunteering for the immersion and the mixed level. looking forward to seeing you up there, and reading your posts about the immersion.