Thursday, August 19, 2010

IDEAS & THEIR IMPLEMENTATION . . .

Yesterday, I finally took action on an idea I've had rolling around in my head for several years. I suggested to my physician a 'wellness series' for patients. A series of classes that might include discussion of diet, exercise, lifestyle adjustments, meditation & yoga (of course), etc., held in their offices, perhaps one evening a week for 4-6 weeks.

This physician is part of a large group, with a good-sized office, staff, and patient population. My doctor has mentioned, in the past, referring patients to me - so, I knew there was respect for yoga's potential. Then, why do this? Well, for a number of reasons:
  1. It's a 'pro-active' method of healthcare management (my physician's words),
  2. Many patients will benefit from the topics that could be discussed/presented in this forum,
  3. Some patients may not search out resources for #2; but, if their physician puts it in front of them, that might change, and
  4. Some patients are not aware of the health benefits of some services (i.e. yoga)
For me (or other yoga teachers), this potential forum will provide us an opportunity to offer yoga and its benefits to a population that may not, as a whole, consider entering a yoga studio or yoga class.  Why?  Well, for some, cost is a factor. And, for a lot of people, physical factors may affect this thought process (i.e. "Me? Do yoga? I can't touch my toes and I'm not young or fit or thin (whatever) enough."

Yet, think about the benefits of yoga for people:  
  1. Breathwork - increase lung function; not to mention the breath's impact on anxiety and other wellbeing issues.
  2. Blood pressure - as in, lowering.
  3. Weight control - for me, beginning yoga also brought an unexpected 30-lb loss (needed); and with the exception of 5 lbs, that weight has stayed off as I continue to practice.
  4. Emotional wellness - anxiety is an increasing issue for many people. Consider, also, self-esteem and self-confidence issues.
  5. Therapeutic benefits of movement for joints, muscles, osteoporosis, etc., etc., etc.
  6. A social connection, which will contribute to emotional wellness.
I could go on (I remember an article somewhere with over 100 benefits of yoga), but I'll stop here.  There are many benefits; and getting that message to more people is the challenge.

So, I quickly wrote an e-mail to my physician yesterday, then went in for a routine appointment in the afternoon - at which I brought it up again. This morning, I awoke to an e-mail from said physician expressing pleasure with the suggestion and asking for more details. Wow!

What did I learn? Once again, I'm reminded that my ideas are good ones and have merit. I just have to get them out there. After all, what's the worst thing my physician could have said? "No". No big deal, because nothing happens unless we ask (a good axiom I've brought along from my fundraising days).

Today's Activities:
  • Expand on my suggestion and send it off -- no procrastination; strike while the iron is 'hot'
  • Pilates at 1 pm
  • Teaching YogaHour at 4 pm at The Yoga Center
  • Jen's class at The Yoga Center
Hope your day is a good one - and, remember, sometimes we have to niggle our way into peoples' thought processes. Not necessarily 'answering the question that hasn't been asked', but at least letting people know we're out here and we have good, valuable ideas and teachings to offer.  

No comments: