Wednesday, August 18, 2010

FIVE DAYS

Spending a week with JF in a training and workshop can be both exciting and daunting. There will be so much to learn (and re-learn); there will be tons of physical effort in each day; yet there will also be the aspects of community, friendship, laughter and respect that balance the anticipated effort and work.

I posted last year that during the weekend workshop, I practiced in all 8 sessions. Perhaps not prettily, but I was there and I was giving it my best effort. I've been wondering about a repeat 'performance' this year. After a full week of asana each day, it may be better for me to just do the workshop I've signed up for and let someone else do all 8 sessions. We'll see.

My class(es) yesterday were fun. I have a new student who continues to surprise and please me, as a teacher.  He has a stressful job, and has never done yoga before. He came in with a very open attitude, ready and willing to work to reduce the stress in his life. I enjoy introducing him to the poses, the UPA's, the magic of this practice. Best of all, he relates that his BP is lowered by the practice.

In YogaHour we ventured into handstand territory. First, in the middle of the room, we partnered and used the 'leg-press' method to come up ('leg-press' = down dog, step one foot forward slightly, lift other and press that straight leg into your parner's hand to come up). Then each student went to the wall and practiced their kicks. Fun and powerful!

As we gear up for a week with JF, The Shop is getting ready also. A volunteer sign-up sheet was available, so I signed up to be a 'mat monitor' on two days -- meaning? I'll set up a sample mat layout and help people align their mats to maximize space. I understand there are 150 people signed up for the Immersion, so mat space will be tight.

Today's schedule:
     Gentle Yoga, 10 am at The Yoga Center
     Errands and an appointment in the afternoon

Hope your Wednesday is great,

No comments: