Friday, August 6, 2010

IF IT'S FRIDAY, IT'S A 'NOTES' DAY

An old title, but my brain is a bit frazzled from this new activity (taking care of multiple grandchildren), so - we'll go with it.

Brady, Age almost-2
1.  The priority this week - help son and family
transition from a family of four to five, as Carson arrived home (unexpectedly) from his NICU stay of 9 days. Here are some pics of all the boys:
Jack, age almost-4

And, Carson - age 2 weeks

2.  I've enjoyed the pictures from Wanderlust -- looks like a great time.  And, the fact that JF showed for the festivities made it all the more special for attendees, I'm sure.  I especially loved the pictures of Sianna teaching. I don't know her well (have only done one day of a workshop with her and practiced next to her one other time); but I sense she is a person who, even in a photograph, personifies grace in action.

3.  In the nick of time, Abby Tucker posts some tips for handstand.  The hiccup -- I have to get one of those trampoline things people jog on.  Desiree loves hers, so maybe it will serve other purposes than helping me kick up. Nice video on Facebook of Abby - check it out.

And, if I'm ever on a transatlantic flight, Tara Judelle, gives some tips on Facebook for handstand in the restroom (paper towels under the hands).  Interesting how many people commented on the sanitary aspect of this experience.

4.  Three ways of saying things comes in handy in more than just teaching yoga, I've discovered.  This week with Grandsons is teaching me lots of ways to re-phrase, look for the good, watch my reactions, breathe, stay calm, stay focused, etc., etc., etc.

5.  Because I have done a number of privates lately -- either intentionally or not (meaning just one person comes to a class) -- my observation skills are improving.  I went back to my notes from JF Advanced Therapeutics, Santa Fe 2007, and found this entry "use minimum amount of energy to make a shift". I remember how much I doubted that entry; but see, now, that it works.  Sometimes an action as simple as sync-ing with the breath helps with assists and movement (I've also noticed this when partnering -- how much further I can go once I work in sync with my partner's breath).

I continued reading and came to "don't think too much, just feel". Well, 3 years ago I probably was thinking 'I'll never get this; how can I feel someone's energy?'. Today, I believe it's different. I think, but I don't over-think; if that makes sense.

One of my great challenges has been to watch, rather than talk and move/adjust all the time (this applies to the class setting, as well). Empty spaces are uncomfortable (to me), but offer great learning opportunities. Time to observe, time to watch movement evolve, time to think.

Something to think about.

Enjoy Friday and Saturday,

No comments: