Sunday, August 8, 2010

OR, WE COULD THINK 'COMMIT'

Yesterday, I tried to start a post and was interrupted unexpectedly with the call to board the plane. That was a good thing, but not good for finalizing a thought process.

The poem I was working with offers a number of avenues to go with for heart quality, theme, etc. As I re-read it this morning (see yesterday's post), I thought 'commit'. For me, there was choice, and then commitment involved in my beginning and continuing the practice. My story, now apply it to the students in the room, now apply it to the 'why does it matter'?

A couple years ago, I was re-reading the Master Immersion booklet from Park City, 2007. I stumbled upon (or read - finally) the section called "Mastering the Efficacy of the Practice". This gave me a bullet-point list of qualities or indications that we are moving on the path to awakening. Why does finding this matter? Because, for me, it is always a challenge to link my story, my theme, my heart quality to the philosophical without having it sound 'scripted'. This list offers me a point of departure to linking my story to a philosophic reason for it's telling. I revised the wording of the list from JF's, so that I can insert a heart quality and choose one of the points of progress. It begins like this:

When I commit, I say yes
  • to my inner strength and steadfastness – I have an abiding sense and knowing of my spiritual essence
  • and I trust in the Divine’s play, that my choice and my commitment are supremely good.  
  • and I trust the wisdom of this commitment, to the interconnection of life – I know that my decision and my commitment is valid. 
There were about 10 points in JF's writing -- as I think of something myself, I add it to the list. This is just an example of the 'keys' I have created for myself so that if I'm a bit 'stumped' about the 'why does it matter', I can refer to the list and perhaps find a starting point from which to continue developing the class.  

Once that's done, it's on to 'choosing' an apex or a sequence (sequencing from the individual or the universal).  Lately, I've enjoyed choosing a pose to work towards (individual), and backing out of the apex - selecting a sequence to address the chosen apex pose (areas that need to be opened PLUS areas where I see things go awry).  

Continuing to remind people why they're in class is great motivation, a good reason to have the philosophic connection strongly in my head.  Say I have chosen #1 above, I could use instructions like "use your inner strength to stabilize . . . " or "with knowing, extend your arms . . .". Like that.  

To close, I also must remind people why all this matters -- I could go back to a line in the poem and read it, or simply reflect on the strength or knowledge they may have discovered during the class.  

This is all pretty simple, but if it offers an idea - a good thing. It helps me, also, to write and remember. 

Have a nice Sunday,

No comments: