Thursday, September 9, 2010

I'VE FALLEN INTO THE TRAP -- AGAIN

I need to think of a name for it - the trap, that is.  Something like:  'Facebook Trap', or 'TMI (too much information) Trap', or 'Read Only When Not Thinking Too Much Trap', or 'It's Not My Story Trap'.

I'm enjoying my coffee, reading along through Facebook, and come to one that clearly rankled me. In 10 days, SLC will have a charity yoga event at one of the bigger parks in the area. I think there are 12 or more teachers participating in the teaching of 108 sun salutations, and I think there will be other associated events and activities.  All to benefit 4 different, yet yoga-related activities.

Many of the teachers and students participating in the event have set up fundraising pages (including me, as one of the instructors). Nothing wrong with that - the more the merrier (and the better for the charities).

So, what rankled me? A comment indicating this good effort is being turned into a fundraising contest - as in, which studio (or individual) can raise the most money.  Clearly we want to raise a lot of money, but a contest?  Resisting temptation to write several types of snide comments - I opted with a simple 'good luck with the fundraising' message.  Some things just need to be done because they're good for the community of yoga in Salt Lake City, not for the aggrandizement of a studio or individual.

That's my 'trap'. I read things, I get upset, I ought not (get upset). But, I do. Enough. Onward.

My faithful Gentle Yoga students were back in force yesterday. I have to say, these are some of the most dedicated students I've encountered.  I was away for 2 weeks, I had a sub (who did a very good job), and these students did not give up on me and/or go away. Great for my teaching psyche.

Then it was home to meet the 'elusive painter'; who will be more elusive for the next couple weeks -- upper level of the house is pretty torn up; do I put it back together? or leave it? Maybe I should just focus on the lower level for those two weeks. Enough on that, also.

My dogs had been up during the previous night (thunderstorm); making it hard to sleep. Imagine a shivering German Wirehaired Pointer on your pillow, wedged between headboard the the top of your head. That was my night. All this to tell you, I indulged in my first nap in almost 3 weeks. A nap that lasted so long, I missed Tiffany's class. Sorry to have done that!

Today's events:
Morning         Haircut
1 pm               Pilates
4 pm               Yoga Hour (today's word: discernment)
5:40 pm          Yoga for Everyone with Micah at The Yoga Center
Inbetween       More laundry

Hope your day is a good one. And, thank you for reading through my 'fundraising' tirade.

No comments: