Sunday, September 19, 2010

WINDY SUNDAY

The wind is already blowing here.  In Salt Lake, that is usually sign that a weather change will be coming soon -- either a thunder storm, a cold front; something different from the heat and sunshine we've enjoyed the the past few days. Variety.

Yesterday the breeze had begun during the Yogaaid Challenge at Liberty Park.  Unfortunately, I doubt many of the actively participating people (the people doing the 108 sun salutations) noticed the wind by #20, or #45, or #75, or - maybe - anytime. They may have been wishing for shade in any form.  Do you get the message that it was a hot day (my car temp. gauge registered 94 at 4 pm)? The participants were in the full sun for the entire practice. Wow, they earned my respect!

I got sunburned just standing in the shade, briefly moving into the sunlight for moments here and there, and then while on stage for the 8 minutes I taught.

Speaking of teaching. Of the 15 (I think) instructors teaching, I was #14. I taught 6 salutations. It was fun, but a last-minute alteration in plans gave me a bit of a nervous jolt. 12 instructors taught Surya Namaskar A series; organizers of the event asked D'ana (who taught before me) and I to change it up a bit and teach the B series.  Well, as an Anusara-Inspired™ instructor, I am woefully out of practice teaching the series in any formal way. So, I stressed for a good deal of the event; asking for tips from fellow teachers, then finally deciding I'd pay attention to what D'ana taught and try to replicate it.

How'd I do?  Well, not sure -- luckily there was one woman in the front row that was a click ahead of me, so she kept me straight as to which leg we were on (phew!). And, then I finally looked at all those hot people, many of whom were at their limit of physical exertion, and decided to pull out of the rhythm I often fall into --- kick up the voice decibel a bit; offer a few off-the-wall comments; acknowledge the people (i.e. there was one guy there in an orange baseball cap -- he never stopped smiling; he was like the teacher cheerleader for me!). I find mental distraction has saved me a number of times when I was at my limit. And, I survived it also, that's all I can say for sure.

Earlier, my day went like this: taught at 9 am -- fun group, among them two new-to-me students, one of whom was taking her second yoga class. Their first? Somewhere else, where a 'beginner' class - to them - felt more like a 'workout' class. I didn't ask which location; don't want to know. Just thankful these students were smart enough to give another class a try. Too often, people go away after that first mis-step; saying "I tried yoga, didn't like it' or 'It was too hard'. Sad.

After 4 hours at the Challenge, it was back to the studio to teach my Saturday private. This student gets stronger each week, and I'm loving that she does her homework (little things I ask her to do during the week, like focus on lifting her heart and get shoulder blades working). Last week, she asked what I noticed different about her since we began working together. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I gave the best or most motivating answer. This week, I noticed her arms, which previously in urdhva hastasan had stretched more to the front plane of the body; her arms now reach almost in line with her neck and ears! We even journeyed towards bakasana. Wow! Now, that's big change. There's no way I won't be able to comment on that!

Lesson learned? I always notice; I just need to make sure I communicate what I notice to students. They may not realize the radical shifts that are happening. Just like my cheerleader yesterday, I have to be my students' cheerleader, as well.

Today:
   Debating on a drive to Park City; the Practice with David, perhaps?  Sounds pretty enticing.
   If that happens, then it will be lunch in Park City, as well.
   Back at home, more painters coming in tomorrow so need to get house ready

Enjoy your Sunday,

No comments: