Tuesday, September 21, 2010

LEARNING HAPPENING EVERYWHERE

I love the posts, pictures and video clips from the Yoga Journal Grand Gathering. Makes me wish I was there. I had hoped to go; instead, I'll attend Sundari's Therapeutic Training in October -- all these things cost money and involve travel logistics. Those factors, plus the fact that Sundari will relocate to Maui for the Winter, made up my mind about what to do / where to go.

Perhaps next year -- tho, 800 people is still daunting (the number anticipated to attend the Grand Gathering).

The breakout sessions (smaller groups) at the Gathering offer a great opportunity to study with different teachers; teachers I might not have studied with before, or those I'd like to experience more of.  For example, I have only done one day of a weekend workshop with Sianna Sherman -- would love to expand that. And, Christina Sell -- I've studied with her through workshops and online mentoring, and she truly offers us roadmaps for planning our teaching; so more of her would be great.

However, an opportunity to be in the 'wilds' of Wyoming with Sundari and 20 others studying therapeutics for 5 days is a wonderful growth opportunity, as well.

And, in the meantime, there is always learning happening.  Yesterday, Adam came to the studio and we worked privately on my handstands.  Lots of hamstring strengthening and stretching, hip stuff, several attempts at kicking up.  The best parts?  1) Towards the end of the session, I was definitely feeling myself move higher, and 2) I felt empowered. I worried that I may feel 'less than' during this session, since the emotion I most often feel lately when trying some of these poses is embarrassment - embarrassed that I'm not able to do the poses yet, after all these years. I even find myself avoiding the poses when in a group; just so people won't see how much I can't do. Adam did a wonderful job of moving me from that not-helpful emotion to one of "if I do the work, it will happen". And, the fact that the kick was higher and felt better towards the end of our hour, that helped, too.

The rest of this week, I'll continue to work with the things he showed me and we're meeting up next week for more of the same.

Hence the title of the pose - learning happening everywhere. Even though I'm not at the Grand Gathering, I still learn and grow. Good stuff.

Today's Events:
   Taking Wayne's class this morning (9:30 at The Yoga Center)
   Painter at the house - what a mess!  (Not to criticize my housekeeping skills; but 17 years of dust behind and under the heavy furniture is pretty bad -- it will be clean now!)
   Teaching at 4 pm - Yoga Hour at The Yoga Center

p.s.  Notice the addition to my 'favorites' list -- a new blog written by Bernadette Birney in partnership with Douglas Brooks.

Enjoy your Tuesday,

No comments: