Wednesday, October 13, 2010

THREE COMMENTS

Three comments -- all about the same; same person?  Same issue, for sure.  No matter, I'll try to describe my experience with the hyoid bone (a small horseshoe-shaped bone that sits at the front of our throats and anchors our tongue; where skull and shoulder loop intersect).

Three weeks ago, when I had a true breakthrough on urdhva dhanurasana, it was because I finally 'heard' JF say take my head back and look more towards my hands and feet as I moved from the top of my head.  At first, it was like a slow motion elevator.  Perhaps that was because I could hardly believe it was happening, I was experiencing 'lift off'; not having to struggle to get 3-4 inches away from the floor, but truly experiencing my shoulder blades assisting in the lift.

So, since then, I've continued to do that - take my head back; and, each time it gets easier.

FYI, I put the word 'heard' in quotes, because I know I have been told this by many teachers; for some reason, this time I 'heard' it and I was able to execute it.  

The past week, with Sundari in Wyoming, we spent days working shoulder loop, and on Sunday did get to the backbends.  In ustrasana, her instructions went like something this:

  • Inner body bright (from hips to arm pits get long)
  • Gaze forward, move your hyoid bone back
  • Begin to move shoulder loop
  • Once again, re-emphasize inner body bright
  • Your gaze is still forward, hyoid bone engaged
  • Shoulder loop begins to spin a bit faster
  • Heart lifting, as you begin to lift your gaze and extend the occiput
  • Shoulder loop spinning faster
  • Inner body expanding
  • Gaze moving back; hyoid bone toned and occiput extending
  • repeat, repeat, repeat
Before I knew it, my hands were on my ankles without the usual collapse on one side, just a nice ride back.  

Then, we moved to urdhva dhanurasana. Her first instruction, soften.  Simply place my feet and hands, then allow the arm pits to move to the floor. Engage the hyoid bone (how? press my occiput into the floor), keep that engagement as I press hands into the floor and lift to top of head.  With hyoid toned, top of head pressing into the floor (this is the occiput extending), re-position hands as needed, and begin the journey to urdhva dhanurasana.  Do take gaze back further towards hands and feet, but do not lose the tone of the hyoid. Once we disconnect form the hyoid, we disconnect kidney and shoulder loop (this info, thanks to Wayne).  Wow! How many times do we have to hear something for it to begin to stick?  Many, I guess.

Not sure about 'anonymous' or 'imagine', but this works for me.  Almost effortlessly, I've been rising into urdhva dhanurasana each time that instruction is given. Once again, this is something I've heard again and again, different verbiage depending on the instructor. I finally 'heard' it.  

So, give it a try. Let me know if anything changes.  

Enjoy your evening,

1 comment:

Kimberly Achelis Hoggan aka Sita LivDeep said...

loved the instructions of ustrasana, thanks for sharing,