Thursday, October 14, 2010

WHY?

Why, when I encounter a new-to-me or new-to-yoga student, am I hearing "I tried it, but I couldn't do it." or "I took a beginner class, but it was more like a workout class." or "I was intimidated."

Sometimes, I suppose, it's just because - at the time they tried it - the student didn't like yoga (!?!?!?). But, many times - in my experience - if I probe a bit, it turns out that the class or the instructor just wasn't truly geared to teach beginners.

I don't try to change #3 -- the intimidation one; because I think that's within a person's make-up to decide whether it's worth facing that bit of intimidation in order to do something good for themselves.

But #1 and #2?  Those I can address.  I think there may be a common misconception that the new-to-teaching instructor is best off teaching beginners.  But, I don't agree.  My belief is that it takes a lot of experience to teach beginners.  Granted, it can be frustrating at times.  For that reason, perhaps the more experienced instructors choose to let others do it.

But, just think of the learning challenges and opportunities that teaching beginners will offer:
  1. An opportunity to meet new people,
  2. An opportunity to listen, 'hear' them, as they try to do something very foreign with their bodies,
  3. The opportunity to practice saying the same instruction three different ways; because sometimes that's what it takes -- not everyone processes information the same way,
  4. Circumstances that offer practice modifications, and
  5. Many times, there is an opportunity to work with injuries.
  6. Best of all, there is that moment when it 'clicks'; when the pose looks strong and viable, when the poses begin to sing.
I am not saying there are no newer-to-teaching instructors who could do this, because I'm sure there are many. It's just that I believe the new-to-yoga students deserve our full attention to assure their experience is a good one, one that offers an optimistic view of the journey (and the challenges) the practice of yoga will offer.  That means that we, as studio owners or program planners, need to pay close attention to how we handle our newer students.

Granted, there are many students who run the gauntlet, grow their practices, and love yoga, despite how they began the practice. I'm thinking of the ones who may be turned off by our lack of attentiveness to their cultivation. It's one thing to market and get them into the studios or fitness centers, then what happens?

Just a brief foray into my thoughts on the attention paid new-to-yoga students.

Today? 
  • Subbing for Mary, 9 am, Level 1 at The Yoga Center
  • 1 pm, Pilates
  • 4 pm, Yoga Hour at The Yoga Center
Have a nice Thursday, 

No comments: