Sunday, October 17, 2010

VIDEO'ING

The 'rules' of video'ing a class state there must be a specific number of students in the room for the video to 'count'.  That's a challenge some days, especially when I've been away so much this year.  Just as I get the class to size, I leave town and a sub steps in.

Not that subs are bad -- they give our students a different perspective, perhaps offer them new tools to work with. The negative? The continuity is gone, at least for one or two weeks.  And, when I do that repeatedly (no matter what the reason), students cannot count on me and may drift away - temporarily perhaps - but away, nevertheless.

For yesterday's Level 1 class, I planned to video. Even tho I had been gone the week before and there was a sub in my place, I decided to set the intention, put the camera up, and pray.  At 9 am, there were not enough to do a viable video; I decided to turn on the camera anyway, if only for myself. By 9:05, more than enough had come into the room.

The camera kept rolling, I kept talking, as people filtered in.  How did I handle it?  I kept talking, smiling and nodding as the late arrivals entered. I also was pretty directive (as in, pointing out to them) about where their mats ought to go -- I wanted them IN the video.  BTW, one of the things video reviewers look for is how I handle the late arriving student - do I let it fluster me, or throw me off my track. I did pretty well in this regard, I think.

Class continued, camera rolling, and we started moving.  At one point in the class, I thought, 'this seems kind of slow'. But, my theme was sensitivity, noticing how we react and what our body is saying to us as we practice. That requires 'slow', in my book. I also, fortunately, had attended Jamie Allison's class the night before.  Hers was not a 'fast' class - hers was very methodical, working her theme (Kali) and offering precise alignment instruction. Yet, I was sweating from the 2nd AMS (down dog). Slower, when done with intention and refinement, can be sweat-producing.

I decided to not worry about 'slow', and simply serve the people in the room. I did it -- I believe everyone  was served (unlike some earlier classes, where I paid attention to the newer students yet not so much to the seasoned).

At home, I created the DVD successfully! Now, I'll review it and fill out a self-critique evaluation form provided by Anusara®.  Then, package form and DVD up, and send them off to Sundari in Maui (so far away, but still close).

Today's plans:
  • House stuff
  • Whatever else happens
Have a nice Sunday,

No comments: